Easy Pizza Casserole
This Easy Pizza Casserole recipe is stupid-easy at it’s finest: we’re literally taking a couple cans of biscuits (cutting them up with scissors…) and tossing it with a bunch of sauce, pepperoni, and cheese, and calling it dinner. It’s SO good. Your kids will love you.
The other day I got a call from my friend Sarah over at Snixy Kitchen, and she said, “Do you have a minute to brainstorm ideas? I need a recipe that appeals to middle America moms. I instantly thought of you.” I laughed so hard because it’s so, so true. Guys, I’m posting a recipe for PIZZA CASSEROLE. If that’s not middle America, then I don’t know what is.
This is the EASIEST casserole on the planet. Seriously guys, you don’t even have to bust out the knife (you know how I hate chopping. See these no-chop Easy Baked Meatballs and even this Fancy Salad.) Instead we are going full scale trashy and using scissors to cut up all the biscuits and pepperoni.
I like that this recipe is not pasta. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good pasta, but it’s just not pizza. This recipe uses biscuit dough, so it’s kind of like getting little pieces of crust in every bite. And then in between that you’ve got delicious spiced sauce, tons of pepperoni and don’t forget all the melty cheese.
You could probably add whatever “toppings” you wanted to this pizza. I haven’t tried it, but I don’t see why you couldn’t add cooked sausage, olives, green peppers, or even Canadian bacon and pineapple!
A word of caution, this recipe takes forever to bake. I used 2 cans of biscuits because one wouldn’t be enough to feed my family and using one and a half is just annoying. So I used two, which makes for a very FULL casserole dish. (Make sure you bake with a pan underneath in case it overflows.) But also because there is so much in there, it takes a while for the biscuits to get baked through. When you take it out, test it with a toothpick and dig around a bit in a biscuit piece to make sure it’s cooked through. If not, put the cover back on and pop it in for a few more minutes.
You are going to love how easy this Middle America Casserole is. Because cheese. Haha! Be sure to serve it with extra hot pizza sauce at the table! This recipe would be SO good served with the Apple Gorgonzola Salad I just posted.
Easy Pizza Casserole
- 2 cans buttermilk biscuits, 1 pound cans
- 7 ounces pepperoni, 1 package
- 3-4 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 32 ounces pizza sauce, 2 jars, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a deep 9x13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Open the first can of biscuits and use scissors to cut them into sixths (cut each biscuit in half, then cut each half into 3.) Layer on the bottom of the dish.
- Use half the package of pepperoni now: use scissors to cut the pepperoni into quarters. Spread over the top of the biscuits.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups mozzarella over the top.
- Spread 1 jar of pizza sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with half a tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
- Add the other can of cut biscuits, the other half of the package of pepperoni (cut), and HALF of the other jar of pizza sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining half tablespoon Italian seasoning.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 cups of mozzarella. How cheesy you want it is up to you!
- Grate 3-4 tablespoons of Parmesan over the top.
- Spray a sheet of foil with nonstick spray and cover. Place the casserole dish on a large baking sheet (in case it bubbles over.)
- Bake at 350 for about 60 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 10-15 minutes, until the top has browned. Use a toothpick or fork to test a biscuit in the middle. It should be cooked all the way through. If not cover and stick it back in.
- Serve with the leftover half jar pizza sauce! I like to warm it in the microwave.
More stupid easy dinner ideas:
Easy Ravioli Lasagna << family classic right here!
Extra Cheesy Penne and Mozzarella Casserole << sooo much cheese!!
Never enough casseroles!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.