Slow Cooker Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce
This Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken is one of the best curries I’ve ever had! The sauce starts with the coconut milk with jalapeño and red onion. It’s not too spicy, but has tons of flavor!
Originally posted February 16, 2016
We ripped out our carpet this week and are in the middle of getting new (laminate) wood floors. Originally I wanted to put the wood in our kitchen, dining, and family room, because they are all connected.
But then we ripped out the OLD laminate in the kitchen to reveal this awesome linoleum underneath. I love it so much! I think I’m going to keep it and do the new wood everywhere else. What do you think? Isn’t it super cute?
Oh my gosh, calm down, I’M JOKING. I texted this to my brother Nathan earlier today and he politely texted back, “I love the wood! Are you doing linoleum in the kitchen, or wood?” And then I told him I was joking and he said, “I was very careful how I phrased that.”
This gross linoleum kind of makes me nostalgic though. We had a VERY similar pattern in my kitchen growing up, only ours was, no joke, BRIGHT yellow and orange. Classic. (my parents bought their house in 1980 I think.) Did you grow up with linoleum like this??
Here’s how it’s going. Eric’s parents came all the way from Montana to help us. (And by help us, I mean basically do most of it…we owe you big time!) Also you will notice who won the great Should We Paint Our Fireplace White debate…at least for now.)
How to make Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken
This recipe is a classic from the blog that I changed up to go in the slow cooker. It worked out beautifully! The original is here: Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce. It’s a huge crowd pleaser. The sweetness from the coconut and the earthy tones from the yellow curry balance each other perfectly. But you have to marinate it and stand over the stove for a while, and lately I have been all about the setting-and-forgetting-it. Enter our trusty slow cooker!
This recipe uses bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs that you sear on the stove before slow cooking. By the time they are done cooking, they are falling off the bone, and the caramelized flavor from the searing step has transformed the meat into something simply amazing. You could absolutely use chicken breasts in this recipe, but the meat won’t be quite as flavorful. You just can’t replace that dark meat. Make this soon! Crockpot curry ftw!
If you make this curry, snap a photo and share on Instagram using #TheFoodCharlatan! I’d love to see it!
More great curry recipes!
Here’s the original Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce:
6 Ingredient One Pot Vegetable Curry << this cheater recipe is so easy!
Thai Red Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes: this is an oldie but a goodie.
Thai Red Curry with Vegetables from Cookie and Kate
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry from The Lemon Bowl
Coconut Chicken Thai Curry from Tastes Lovely
Slow Cooker Basil Chicken in Coconut Curry SauceServes 6-8 adjust servings
This Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken is one of the best curries I've ever had! The sauce starts with the coconut milk with jalapeño and red onion. It's not too spicy, but has tons of flavor
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, skin removed* (about 2 and 1/2 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk (lite coconut milk is great too)
- 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 or 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch**
- 1 tablespoon COLD water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Remove the skin from the chicken using your fingers and a serrated knife. Salt and pepper each thigh.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil (or you can use nonstick spray).
- When the oil is hot, add 3 chicken thighs. Don't put them too close together, you want to avoid steaming.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until nicely browned on the bottom. Then flip the chicken over to brown the other side for about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Repeat searing process with the other 3 chicken thighs. If there is still enough grease in the pan then you don't need to add more oil.
- Meanwhile, in a crockpot combine coconut milk, basil, 2 teaspoons salt, 3/4 teaspoon pepper, yellow curry, and chili powder (to taste). Stir to combine.
- Add the chopped red onions, garlic, and jalapenos.
- Add the browned chicken and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and transfer to a plate or cutting board. Let cool for a couple minutes.
- Add the ginger to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon COLD water. Stir until it's not lumpy. Add this to the crock pot and stir.
- Shred the chicken, removing the bones and any tough bits. It should just be falling apart.
- Return the meat to the slow cooker and stir. Return the lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cilantro.
- Serve with rice, cauliflower rice, or naan.
by The Food Charlatan
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.