The Best Grilled Cheese of Your Life
loaf challah bread
plenty of butter (at least 4-6 tablespoons)
thick slices of sharp cheddar* cheese (or more)
slices of bacon, cooked (click here)
cup shredded cheese*
- Slice the challah bread into 1/2 or 3/4 inch slices. You will need 8 slices of bread (for 4 sandwiches).
- In a wide nonstick skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of butter over medium low heat until melted. Add 2 slices of bread to the butter in the pan. Make sure you get butter on the bottom of each slice of bread.
- Add 2 thick slices of cheese to one piece of bread. Or add more, I'm no judge.
- Place the other slice of bread, butter side up, on top of the cheese.
- Add 2 strips of cooked bacon on top of the sandwich.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese on top of the bacon.
- Melt another 1/2 tablespoon butter in the pan, off to the side. Carefully flip the sandwich over onto the melted butter, so that the cheese and bacon are on the bottom of the pan. Cook on medium low for 3-4 minutes until crispy and grilled.
- Add another 2 tablespoons of cheese to the top of the sandwich. Flip so that the cheese is on the bottom, and cook until crispy, another 3-4 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining bread, cheese, bacon, and butter until all 4 sandwiches are done. When each sandwich is finished, put it on a cooling rack in the oven, so that the bottom stays crispy! (see note)
by The Food Charlatan