I’m not gonna lie, this poppyseed salad dressing tastes really good without the poppyseeds. I know, because I made it again yesterday, trying (in vain) to shake out the last 12 poppyseeds stuck to the bottom of my empty jar.
But it still tastes amazing. I guess Poppyseed dressing sounds better than Mustardy Oil and Vinegar. And I will say that I do really like the hint of flavor the poppyseeds add.
Poppyseed-less dressing is one thing, but listen to this: One of Eric’s old coworker’s (who is LDS like us, and doesn’t drink alcohol) was at a business lunch one time. Everyone at the table was ordering fancy cocktails. He decided to branch out:
“I’d like a virgin mimosa please!”
Waitress: “So you want…a glass of orange juice?”
Speaking of Mormons, have you guys ever been to Cafe Zupas? It’s a Utah chain. I love the place. Good, cheap food, mostly soups and salads. I have a copycat version of their Easy Cheddar Cauliflower Soup and it never fails.
P.S. Spellcheck did not scold me about the fact that the second word in this post is “gonna.” This concerns me. Even our computers are getting dumber guys.
Copycat Cafe Zupas Poppyseed Dressing and Spinach Bleu Cheese SaladServe 6 adjust servings
For the Poppyseed Dressing
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (I used half canola, half olive)
For the salad
- 16 ounces baby spinach
- about 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 6 ounces bleu cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Toss all the salad ingredients except the almonds in a very large bowl. Add as much of the dressing as you want. Add the almonds. Toss and serve immediately.
by The Food Charlatan
Source: dressing recipe from The Pretty Life Anonymous
Long live salad:
Bleu Cheese Dressing Recipe from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Sweet Sensation Salad with Blush Onion Vinaigrette from It’s Always Autumn
Homemade Buttermilk Ranch from Will Cook for Smiles
Fail-Proof Honey Mustard Salad Dressing from Heather’s Dish
And poppyseeds: Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust from Foxes Love Lemons <<–These slay me. SLAY i say.