Pineapple Spinach Salad
Pineapple spinach salad is a fun twist on the traditional strawberry spinach salad. There’s pineapple in every bite…because who really wants to eat spinach?
The other day my 3-year-old daughter responded to a request with “Whatever, Mom.”
It was in that same moment that I noticed not one, but two pimples on her face. Like the 13-year-old kind. Chicken or the egg, my friends? Is her attitude making her pre-pubescent or the other way around? And where is my toddler??
In other news, I’m trying to be healthy lately. It’s the wrong time of year for that (hello, fall baking) but I’m making an effort for the sake of my love handles. They have developed their own personalities lately, and it’s time for me to end my relationship with them. (Although I must say, I won’t be dismissing them entirely. How else could I wave them at people, like Jennifer Lawrence does?)
This salad was born in the produce section. I mean, obviously, but I just mean that I was literally in the produce section at Safeway, staring at the 7-dollar boxes of strawberries and craving a strawberry spinach salad like nobody’s business. I couldn’t justify it, not in any part of my penny pinching brain. But then my eyes fell on a $2.99 pineapple and I thought, well, why not?
I really like how tangy this salad is. The pineapple, the feta, even the dressing. If it sounds like too much to you, omit the mustard from the dressing, or up the sugar. It’s such a simple dressing; you could put lots of different spins on it. Let me know if you try this out!
P.S. I’m doing a guest post for a friend this Friday! It involves steak. And goat cheese. You know you want in. Stay tuned!
Pineapple Spinach Salad5-6 side servings adjust servings
For the dressing
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (optional--taste it first)
For the pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
For the salad
- 10-13 ounces spinach
- 1 pineapple, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 6 ounces feta
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a mason jar or tupperware. Shake vigorously and set aside.
- In a small pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat. When hot, add the pecans and stir to coat. Add the brown sugar and stir again. Stir occasionally until the sugar starts to caramelize, about 2-5 minutes. Remove to a wax paper lined cookie sheet and let cool.
- In a large bowl add the spinach, pineapple, and feta. Toss to combine. Sprinkle the top with pecans and serve with the salad dressing (you might not use all of it).
by The Food Charlatan
Source: The Food Charlatan
This dressing goes great on pretty much everything.
More great salads!
More awesome salads from blogdom:
Grilled Ginger-Sesame Chicken Chopped Salad from Cooking Classy
Peach and Arugula Caprese Salad from Love and Olive Oil
Caramelized Onion, Pear, and Goat Cheese Salad w/Maple Vinaigrette from NeighborFood
Want easy dinners?
Sign up for my FREE email course, Five 30-Minute Meals for When You Forget Dinner is a Thing. I'll send you easy recipes to solve the dinnertime madness!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.