Thai Red Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes
Communal living is so great. At least it is for us, the moochers. We have been living with my brother and his family for the last month while we “search for a place to live.” And by that I mean eat their food and dominate the remote control while we pretend to look at places online.
This mooching business is an art which I am still learning. Eric is a pro though. Even back when we were dating, my roommates called him the “Smoocher” because he was always mooching off us and because, well, we smooched a lot.
My brother and his wife Sandi pretend that they like having us here, which makes it even easier for us. I do what I always do: cook an overabundance of food and pretend that I’m always about to do the dishes. Really I just cook and they do the dishes.
As if the phenomenon of self-cleaning dishes couldn’t be topped, their son Eli is the same age as Charlotte and they get along swimmingly. This morning I was doing Charlotte’s hair. Eli came in yelling what I thought was, “baseball! Baseball!” But instead he and Charlotte fist-bumped. Then they continued to high-five, down low, up high, while I exploded in laughter. Not only do the dishes get done, but my kid is constantly entertained as well.
My brother and my husband are both named Eric, so when we were cleaning up after eating this Thai dish, I made lunches for both of them and labeled one “Eric Z.” and the other “Eric G.” My brother said he just walked around at work with a smug look on his face pointing at his meticulously labeled lunch. He texted me and said I could stay forever. I told him fine, I will, but don’t come crying to me when I’m still here next year.
This curry is fantastic and pretty simple to put together. Here’s a picture of the curry paste that I used. I’m usually not a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but they work great in this recipe. Make this for your extended family. You might just get free room and board.
Thai Red Chicken with Cherry TomatoesServes 4 adjust servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely minced or grated
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk, light or regular
- 8 ounces (1 large) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Hot cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- Place the oil over medium-high heat in a large wok or pan.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice or chop the chicken. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken to the pan and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and continue to saute for about a minute, or until the garlic is fragrant. Add curry paste and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the coconut milk and sweet potato to the mixture, stir, and bring to a boil. Let bubble over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until the juices begin to thicken and reduce.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cilantro to the curry and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with hot jasmine rice.
by The Food Charlatan
Source: Greatest Ever Thai: Easy and Delicious Step-by-Step Recipes
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.