This EASY recipe for honey lemon glazed carrots is made in the slow cooker for a no-fuss vegetable side dish for the holidays! Or for any weeknight really, because this stuff tastes like candy and who doesn’t want to eat honey carrots that are this sweet and delicious? The lemon gives them the perfect tang.
The other day Eric and I were working side by side at the table, each on our own laptop. Valentine was sitting on Eric’s lap eating a muffin. And then she sneezed all over his keyboard.
I’d like to tell you that I jumped up and started helping him right away, but instead I completely lost it and busted up laughing. The kind of insane, maniacal laughter that you can’t stop and have to hide in your hand for fear that your spouse will shoot ACTUAL daggers at you through his eyes.
As tears rolled down my cheeks, he pointed out that if the tables were turned, and he laughed this hard at me as I cleaned up my computer, I would be mad at him, and he’s so right. This is the double standard of our marriage. So unfair. I’m sorry Eric. But I’m still cracking up over this 3 days later, so thank you for not killing me.
Now it’s Saturday morning and all the kids are still sick. It’s so pathetic hearing all their croaky voices! Thank you, Disney Plus, for timing your arrival for the exact week that my children get their first winter flu. (Did anyone else sign up for the new Disney subscription? For 6 bucks a month, how could we resist??)
The Foolproof Family Slow Cooker (And Other One Pot Solutions)
Today’s recipe is from my friend Valerie’s new cookbook (click here to buy)! Valerie’s blog is called Valerie’s Kitchen, and she is so talented. She is a fabulous cook who makes it really easy to get dinner on the table in no time, even on a weeknight. She raised four hungry boys and doesn’t mess around when it comes to easy delicious food! Check out this Slow Cooker Enchilada Dip or this Wild Rice Pilaf she just posted. Ooh or this Skillet Chicken Parmesan! YUM.
The Foolproof Family Slow Cooker is all about solving your dinnertime problems. There are recipes for your slow cooker, Instant Pot, and some one-pot stovetop recipes that are done really quick. All her recipes are approachable and super delicious. I’ve known Valerie for years, she’s a really fabulous cook! It looks like her book is on sale right now for 15 bucks! Down from $21. It would be a really great gift for the holidays!
How to make Honey Lemon Glazed Carrots
This recipe is so easy it’s kind of a joke.
Grab a handful of peeled carrots.
Chop em up like this. Or in smaller pieces, if you prefer. I like bigger chunks, but you do you. Keep in mind that the smaller you chop them, the shorter your cook time will be.
Mix up some butter, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. You only need one large lemon for this recipe. Pour it over the carrots in the slow cooker, set it and forget it! That’s it!
Can I use baby carrots?
Yes, totally! That way you can just open the bag and dump it in the slow cooker. No washing or peeling or chopping. I personally find that baby carrots are not as flavorful as the big guys, so I think it’s worth it to peel and chop. But you know what, sometimes you just gotta git er done! I would check for doneness at around 2 and 1/2 hours (when cooking on high) so they don’t get mushy.
Can I make glazed carrots ahead of time?
Yes! Carrots are a pretty forgiving vegetable, unlike asparagus or green beans, which go from crisp-tender to sad-and-mushy in a very short period. Carrots are the perfect make ahead vegetable because they are so sturdy. You could make these in the crock pot a day or two early, then store covered in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Heat them up in the slow cooker on low, on the stovetop on low, or in a pan in the oven at whatever temperature your other side dishes are warming at :) I would estimate that baking at 350 for 15-30 minutes or so will warm them up sufficiently.
Happy Thanksgiving menu planning everyone! If you need some inspiration, check out my Thanksgiving recipes to see all my favorites!
Other side dish recipes you are going to love!
- Slow Cooker Browned Butter Glazed Carrots << one of my favorite easy side dishes!
- Roasted Carrots with Dill << not a slow cooker side, but one of the best ways to eat carrots!
- Sautéed Carrots and Shallots with Thyme << one of my favorites for the holidays! So easy and so good.
- Slow Cooker Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes << an easy way to get this essential out of your stove space!
- Make Ahead Green Beans with Garlic Bread Crumbs and Almonds << easy and perfect for the holidays.
- Apple Cider Roasted Carrots with Plums << These are sweet and have a really unique flavor!
- Oven Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter << my favorite way to make asparagus!!
- Crockpot Green Bean Casserole from Family Fresh Meals
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes from Dinner Then Dessert
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash for a Crowd from Kalyn’s Kitchen
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram
Honey Lemon Glazed Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled
- 1/4 cup half stick butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- zest from 1 lemon, about 2-3 teaspoons
- juice from 1/2 large lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or chives, optional
- Peel the carrots and chop off the ends. Slice the carrots into medium size pieces. See photo. I prefer larger chunks, but it's totally up to you. (The smaller you chop them, the faster the carrots will cook.)
- Add the carrots to your slow cooker.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup honey, zest from 1 lemon, (reserve some for topping finished carrots, if you want) and juice from half a lemon (about 2 tablespoons) and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir it all together.
- Pour the butter mixture over the carrots and stir it together. Use a spatula to spread the butter up the sides of the crock pot a few inches so that the carrots don't stick to the pot while cooking.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for about 5 hours.
- Transfer carrots to a serving platter and drizzle with lemon honey glaze.*
- Sprinkle with extra lemon zest and chopped parsley or chives.
Hey there, super woman! I hope the kiddos are on the mend and you are staying healthy! I cant believe you managed to cook carrots while all of this was going on but you did a seriously gorgeous job with them and I can’t thank you enough for your sweet words. And, Disney Plus. My 6′ plus boys have been captivated reliving what they call the “classics” from the 90’s. Uh, classics? Please! :)
I don’t know about super woman, more like crazy woman, haha!! And yes, they are on the mend thank goodness! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talents with us Valerie! Your book is stunning. I know we will use it for years to come!
cAN YOU GIVE ME A RECIEPE FOR A DIABETIC THANKSGIVING DINNER?
Hi Joyce! I’m not diabetic and am not really qualified to give you the menu items you would need. Here is a link to all my Thanksgiving recipes that you can look through! Some of them are low sugar. Enjoy!