Slow Cooker Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
These mashed potatoes are made in the SLOW COOKER guys! No peeling, no boiling, no draining! Just chop, wait, mash, EAT! They can be made ahead and kept warm too. The buttermilk adds tons of flavor!
The other day I was watching a cooking segment on a news channel. There was a guy making some mashed potatoes. He’s whipping away when the host asks about over-beating. “It makes the potatoes gummy, right?”
“Yeah, well over-beating actually releases gluten from the potatoes. So you want to make sure not to do that.” That’s right, folks. The longer you beat your potatoes the more glutinous they will be!
I think the guy was confusing potatoes with bread dough, which you have to knead in order to form gluten. (You guys have seen Jimmy Kimmel’s video where he asks people at a gym what gluten is, right? WATCH IT, so funny.)
Last night Eric and I went to see Lake Street Dive, an awesome band with a glorified bar sound and an amazing bassist. It was super fun! They put on a great show. Now I’m just wishing I had a pair of her pants-skirt. Are they pants? Is it a skirt? Who cares? She looks awesome.
These Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are 100% pure deliciousness. And they are SO easy. All you have to do is chop up the potatoes, throw them in a crock pot, and wait. I added some buttermilk for a little tang, which I really love. You can peel the potatoes if you want, I was too lazy. I added the same spices I always put in (we were majorly into mashed potatoes growing up) and they turned out awesome. I’m totally making these on Thanksgiving so that I don’t have to do the potatoes last minute!
Slow Cooker Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons parsley
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic, I used the kind in the jar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon pepper, optional
- 1 & 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, plus more to taste
- parsley, fresh, chopped
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Wash and scrub potatoes. Cut into 1-2 inch chunks. (The smaller you chop the potatoes the faster they will cook.)
- Rub the sides and bottom of a large crock pot with the end of the 6 tablespoons of butter, then chop the rest into chunks.
- Add the potatoes and butter to the crock pot.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, seasoning salt, parsley, garlic, onion, cayenne, and lemon pepper.
- Pour 1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk over the potatoes and stir.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 7 hours. Check to see if the potatoes are tender, a fork should slide through them easily. Cook for another half hour at a time until the potatoes are done. Keep an eye on them. If they start to get brown, they are overcooking. Be aware that if you have an old crock pot, the cook times might be longer.
- When the potatoes are done, mash them in the pot. You can use a regular masher for this, or beat them with an electric mixer. Just be careful not to beat too long or you will release the gluten. :)
- It might seem liquid-y at first, but eventually the potatoes will absorb it.
- Add the sour cream and more buttermilk to taste.
- Finish by adding 2 tablespoons butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- If you mash your potatoes early, you can keep them in the crock pot on the warm setting for a couple hours. Put some paper towels underneath the lid to keep the potatoes from getting the condensation in them.
Here are some more potato recipes you will LOVE!
Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes << guys, these are crazy good. You have to try them. No gravy needed when there’s brown butter in the house.
My favorite classic recipe for Mashed Potatoes:
Gruyere Crisped Potatoes Au Gratin << The only real thing that can compete with mashed potatoes: crispy creamy cheesy ones.
Other recipes for slow cooker mashed potatoes:
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes from Creme de la Crumb << This post on Tiffany’s blog was the first time I had seen potatoes done in the slow cooker, definitely check it out! Lady’s a genius.
Secret Ingredient Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes from Carlsbad Cravings
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes from Gimme Some Oven
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.