Caramely Almond Butter Bars
Makes one 8x8 inch pan, serves 16
cup salted butter (2 sticks), softened
cup white sugar
cup brown sugar
teaspoon almond extract*
cups flour, spooned and leveled
package Rolos, unwrapped
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper. (Or use foil and spray with nonstick. Or spray the pan itself.)
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg, salt, and almond extract and beat well, scraping down the sides.
- Add the flour and beat until not quite incorporated.
- Add the rolos. I mixed them in for a couple seconds with the beater, but you can fold them in with a wooden spoon if you want. (Some of the rolos in my batch were broken and some were left whole) Don't over mix.
- Press into the prepared square pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 22-24 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. They will look soft in the middle but a toothpick should come out clean.
- Cut into small squares and serve with lots of milk!
by The Food Charlatan