Slow Cooker Chicken, White Bean, and Kale Soup with Parmesan Shavings
Slow cook your way to a steamy bowl of comforting soup! Full of tender chicken, beans, kale, and Parmesan shavings, this easy dinner is healthy to boot. Serve with some crusty bread and extra cheese!
Eric has started to make a small “ding!” sound every time I close the sliding door of my closet. I think he figures that if I hear a pleasant “ding!” as a reward for shutting the closet door, I will do it more often. You know, kind of like Pavlov’s dog. (Ring a bell, give food. Eventually the dog salivates at the bell, without the food.)
I’m slightly offended to be a mere subject in his psychological experiment, but at the same time have caught myself silently “dinging” myself for all sorts of things now as a mini reward. Who knew I was so easy to please? Maybe I’m part canine? A little worried that I’m going to start requesting belly rubs and ear scratches soon.
Have you jumped on the kale bandwagon? I heard this interview of a restaurant critic on the radio the other day where she totally slams kale. At least, kale as it is often prepared in these trendy times. (Kale salad, kale chips, kale pizza.) She said that years ago grocery stores would leave it on the stands outside during winter, so that it would partially freeze, which made it more tender. And even then it was usually tossed into a soup or stew.
I was cheering the whole interview. I mean, have you ever had kale chips? They’re gross. If you think otherwise, I think you’ve drunk the Kool aid. (It was probably kale-flavored.)
Kale in soup, however, is a completely different story. It becomes tender and absorbs the flavors around it. This soup is so hearty and healthy but completely satisfying. I love how versatile it is. Swap out the vegetables, swap out the bean type, etc. I just talked to my friend Shannon the other day, she’s the one who gave me the recipe, and she said she was going to try it with sausage, which I think would be awesome! Whatever you do, don’t leave out the Parmesan rind. It totally takes this soup above and beyond!
Slow Cooker Chicken, White Bean, and Kale Soup with Parmesan ShavingsServes 8-10 adjust servings
- 3 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed*
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 15-ounce cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 cups chicken broth
- one rind of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 6-8 cups kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
- Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and salt and pepper well.
- Add the olive oil to the hot skillet. When it starts to shimmer, add the chicken. Sear well for 1-3 minutes, then flip and sear the other side until brown.
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic, diced tomatoes, white beans, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, and Parmesan rind to a 6-7 quart crock pot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred, discarding bones. Return to the crock pot.
- Add 6-8 cups of chopped kale, cover, and cook for another 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with lots of Parmesan shavings and crusty bread!
by The Food Charlatan
Source: This recipe is from the original Kale, Chicken, and White Bean Soup with Parmesan Shavings, which is adapted from Ciao Annie.
More soups you will love!
Kale, Chicken, and White Bean Soup with Parmesan Shavings << This is the same soup, but made on the stove. It’s really fast to put together! (But not as fast as coming home to a hot crock pot at the end of the day.)
Beef Barley Soup (Slow Cooker) << This is one of the most popular recipes on my site! It’s soooo flavorful and delicious! Old family recipe.
Split Pea Soup with Smoked Gouda (Slow Cooker) << This is a personal favorite of mine! The gouda. I’m tellin you. Don’t knock it til you try it.
Soup from friends!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.