Dye-Free Green Eggs and Ham
Green eggs and ham, just like in the Dr. Seuss book! Instead of dying the eggs with food coloring, we’re using spinach to get that bright green color. It tastes delicious and is so fun for the kids! It’s perfect for St. Patrick’s Day too!
Eric and I were in a rush to get out the door the other day. I handed him a pair of white socks to put on Charlotte. He said “These don’t match.”
Me: “They’re both white, that means they match.”
Eric: “This is why you will never be a real girl.”
I laughed so hard I almost fell over. The truth doesn’t hurt, in this case, it’s just a fact. Sometimes I feel like the girl version of Pinocchio. (“I’m a real boy!”) Minus the donkey ears, plus a complete lack of fashion sense.
I ask you: if a tree falls and no one is around, does it make a sound? If a 3-year-old has unmatched white socks, does anyone care? My mother-in-law’s not even in town for heaven’s sake. (Hi Kris!) At least when she’s around I make sure Charlotte doesn’t wear her usual pink-and-purple-sock combo. Supa classy. (Yes, I am THAT mom at Walmart.)
I am SO ridiculously excited to dye our milk green this Monday.
My mom The leprechauns came to our house every year growing up and magicked our milk green, and sometimes even our saucy pork chops (remember when they sold green ketchup? It was bad guys.)
So what are the St. Patrick’s Day traditions at your house? I am officially starting a Green Eggs and Ham tradition this year. My little Charlotte LOVES that book, she could in a box with a fox with you alllll day long.
These are festive and healthy to boot. All it is is eggs and spinach.
2 cups of spinach. Yes, really, put it all in. I promise you won’t regret it. I could taste a little spinach flavor on my first bite but after that it just tasted like eggs. Even if you can taste the spinach though, I don’t see how that could be a bad thing, spinach and egg quiche is delicious! There’s a reason why people are always adding spinach to smoothies, it tends to take on the flavors of whatever is around it. Popeye was onto something.
Here are some other fun St. Patrick’s Day recipes to get you in the spirit!
Dye-Free Green Eggs and Ham
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups baby spinach, lightly packed
- salt and pepper, plenty
- butter , for frying
- 4 slices Black forest ham
- Add the eggs and spinach to a blender.
- Blend on high for about a minute, then scrape down the sides and add a bunch of salt and pepper. Pulse for another minute or so, until the spinach is fully blended.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the butter is hot, pour in the egg mixture.
- Let it sit for a minute or so until it starts to set, then use a spatula to gently stir it.
- Remove from heat when the eggs have just barely set.
- In the same pan (or in a separate one while you cook the eggs) heat the ham until it browns slightly.
- Serve immediately.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.