Puffy Bacon Twists (with BBQ Ranch Sauce)
Makes about 10 twists
For the twists
pound thick-cut bacon
sheet Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry, thawed (half a package)
lots of toothpicks
For the sauce
cup ranch dressing
cup barbecue sauce
dash hot sauce to taste, I used at least a teaspoon of Sriracha.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Layer the bacon on a metal cooling rack set on top of a large cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until about halfway cooked.* Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Don't turn the oven off.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry onto a floured surface a couple times with a rolling pin to smooth it out. Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into as many strips as you have strips of bacon--for me this was 10. (Each strip was about an inch wide.)
- When the bacon is cool enough to handle, take one strip and fold it in half lengthwise. Fold a strip of dough in half lengthwise. Wrap the dough in a spiral around the folded bacon. Then twist the bacon and secure with toothpicks. See photos!
- Place the twists on a new baking sheet that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray. Bake the twists at 400 for about 12-15 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden and the bacon is cooked. Remove and let cool.
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl combine ranch, barbecue, and hot sauce. Adjust to taste. Stir it together and serve it with the bacon twists.
by The Food Charlatan