Do you have zucchini growing out your ears? This crispy parmesan-crusted squash recipe is possibly the easiest summer side dish of all time, and a great way to use up garden veggies! I have a hard time not eating the entire batch single-handedly.
Tonight Eric took Charlotte out on a Daddy-daughter date. She counted down the hours from the minute she woke up this morning until they left at 6pm. They also got married last week sometime, so I feel like I should be getting jealous here pretty soon.
I was “the roommate” during the dating scenes leading up to the blessed event. (Their courtship sounded suspiciously like mine and Eric’s.) Truman was the marriage officiator. You can send wedding gifts to…just kidding.
The other day my friend Hannah told me that her 6-year-old son was telling her about how she and him were going to get married. “Sure,” she said, playing along and not paying much attention. Then he started getting more specific. “So when we have kids, I guess they will have 2 dads then right? Because I’ll be the dad, and Dad will still be Dad, and you’ll be the mom.” Uuuuh sure kid.
So how is your garden growing this summer? Did you plant one? We did, but pretty late. It’s not the end of the world since we’re in California, but our zucchini are still just little babes. I still wanted to try out this recipe though, ever since I saw my sister-in-law make it a few weeks ago. She got the idea from our cousin Lani, who is an amazing and intuitive cook. (She’s the one who inspired these Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts.)
This seems like such a “duh” recipe, but I had never tried it and it is SO GOOD! Is there anything better than a crispy parmesan crust, I ask you? I didn’t think so. Plus it’s just so easy and quick. I am the laziest when it comes to side dishes (seriously…baby carrots, anyone?) but even I can handle this one.
Parmesan Crusted Zucchini and Yellow SquashServes 6 adjust servings
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 small yellow squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste (I like lots!)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup. (You can skip the foil if you want)
- Slice the zucchini and yellow squash into 1/8 inch rounds. You can half the rounds if you are a small-bite person, totally up to you.
- Add the sliced squash to a large bowl, and add olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat.
- Spread the oiled zucchini on the prepared pan. Do your best to make sure the squash are in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the pan evenly with shredded cheese.
- Roast at 400 for 9-10 minutes until tender.
- Turn on your broiler and move the pan up to the very top rack. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes. Don't walk away!
- Check it until it is as brown and crispy as you like it.
- Serve immediately.
by The Food Charlatan
More ideas for how to use up that summer squash!
Zucchini Pizza Bites <<another recipe where I could eat THE WHOLE PAN.
Cauliflower Rice Skillet with Zucchini and Kielbasa: (super low carb! Super delish!)
From the archives: Italian Sausage with Tomatoes and Penne (and summer squash). I just made this recipe again a few weeks ago and it is still just as awesome as when I posted it back in 2011, a month after I started this blog.
More ways to love zucchini!!
Baked Garlic Parmesan Zucchini Chips from Diethood << these look amazing!
Parmesan-Crusted Zucchini Oven Fries from Diary of a Recipe Collector
Zucchini Crisps with Sriracha Greek Yogurt Sauce from Smile Sandwich