Zucchini Pizza Bites
Healthy tiny pizza! And another way to use up the oceans of zucchini you are drowning in. A simple 15 minute recipe that can be a snack, appetizer, or hey, even dinner if you’re like me.
My mom regaled us with stories all growing up about how when SHE was a little girl, her mother made the same 7 meals each week with no variation. Roast beef on Sunday, Tuna-Noodle Loaf on Monday, Enchilada Loaf on Tuesday.
(Yes, really, Enchilada Loaf is a thing, and it has Fritos, Velveeta, and cinnamon in it. I’m not lying. You can’t make this stuff up.) We served a giant vat of it at my Grandma’s 80th birthday party last summer for nostalgia’s sake.
I always wondered if my mom was exaggerating, but a while back she showed me this old meal-planning notebook of my Grandma’s. The entire thing was filled with pages that looked EXACTLY like this:
(Creepy looking food stains? Check. Adorable cursive? Check. Jello? Check. All the things you need for a Grandma recipe card, right?)
I know those two lists aren’t exactly the same, but there were a LOT of repeats throughout the notebook. That Salmon-Loaf just kept coming back again and again. I can’t be judgmental though; Grandma was a working mom and didn’t have the internet or the Food Network. I’d probably be making Salmon Loaf every week too.
There were a ton of other loose recipes tucked into this notebook of my Grandma’s that I was flipping through, and one of them was an idea for Zucchini Pizza. These are so good! I ate my weight in zucchini and cheese. And easy to boot: just slice up a zucchini (you’ve got a million right now, right??), dollop on some pizza sauce, sprinkle with cheese/toppings, broil, and voila! Perfect summer appetizer. Or after-school snack. Or dinner, if you eat enough… It definitely beats Enchilada Loaf!
Zucchini Pizza BitesMakes 30 adjust servings
- 1 medium or large zucchini
- about 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated small
- 12-15 slices pepperoni, chopped (or use mini pepperoni)
- Preheat your broiler.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the zucchini into rounds. You want them to be about 1/8 inch thick, and definitely no more than 1/4 inch (see photos). The thicker they are, the crisper the zucchini will be.
- Grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Spread out the zucchini on the sheet.
- Top each round with 1/2 or 1 teaspoon pizza sauce. Don't spread it around or it will just bake off.
- Top with shredded mozzarella. If you are using pre-shredded mozz, use a knife to chop it a little smaller.
- Top with chopped pepperoni.
- Move your oven rack to the highest position. Broil the zucchini for 3-6 minutes, or until golden on top. Don't walk away! Eat hot!
by The Food Charlatan
Other ways to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
In case you missed it last week, here’s a great summer casserole you could whip up for dinner: Tomato Basil Summer Veggie Casserole:
Even more zucchini:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.