Zucchini Pizza Bites
Healthy tiny pizza! And another way to use up the oceans of zucchini you are drowning in. A simple 15 minute recipe that can be a snack, appetizer, or hey, even dinner if you’re like me.
My mom regaled us with stories all growing up about how when SHE was a little girl, her mother made the same 7 meals each week with no variation. Roast beef on Sunday, Tuna-Noodle Loaf on Monday, Enchilada Loaf on Tuesday.
(Yes, really, Enchilada Loaf is a thing, and it has Fritos, Velveeta, and cinnamon in it. I’m not lying. You can’t make this stuff up.) We served a giant vat of it at my Grandma’s 80th birthday party last summer for nostalgia’s sake.
I always wondered if my mom was exaggerating, but a while back she showed me this old meal-planning notebook of my Grandma’s. The entire thing was filled with pages that looked EXACTLY like this:
(Creepy looking food stains? Check. Adorable cursive? Check. Jello? Check. All the things you need for a Grandma recipe card, right?)
I know those two lists aren’t exactly the same, but there were a LOT of repeats throughout the notebook. That Salmon-Loaf just kept coming back again and again. I can’t be judgmental though; Grandma was a working mom and didn’t have the internet or the Food Network. I’d probably be making Salmon Loaf every week too.
There were a ton of other loose recipes tucked into this notebook of my Grandma’s that I was flipping through, and one of them was an idea for Zucchini Pizza. These are so good! I ate my weight in zucchini and cheese. And easy to boot: just slice up a zucchini (you’ve got a million right now, right??), dollop on some pizza sauce, sprinkle with cheese/toppings, broil, and voila! Perfect summer appetizer. Or after-school snack. Or dinner, if you eat enough… It definitely beats Enchilada Loaf!
Zucchini Pizza Bites
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated small
- 12-15 slices pepperoni, chopped (or use mini pepperoni)
- Preheat your broiler.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the zucchini into rounds. You want them to be about 1/8 inch thick, and definitely no more than 1/4 inch (see photos). The thicker they are, the crisper the zucchini will be.
- Grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Spread out the zucchini on the sheet.
- Top each round with 1/2 or 1 teaspoon pizza sauce. Don't spread it around or it will just bake off.
- Top with shredded mozzarella. If you are using pre-shredded mozz, use a knife to chop it a little smaller.
- Top with chopped pepperoni.
- Move your oven rack to the highest position. Broil the zucchini for 3-6 minutes, or until golden on top. Don't walk away! Eat hot!
Other ways to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
In case you missed it last week, here’s a great summer casserole you could whip up for dinner: Tomato Basil Summer Veggie Casserole:
Even more zucchini:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.