Honey-Drizzled Bleu Cheese Strawberry Bites

Honey-Drizzled Bleu Cheese Strawberry BitesSo it’s officially summertime, and I can tell because suddenly I only have 4 shirts to wear.

Exaggeration, you say? Just come over to my house 2 days in a row. I’ll probably be wearing the same thing.  (That one 6 dollar Target shirt. Yes really.)

Honey-Drizzled Bleu Cheese Strawberry Bites

I tried to figure out what exactly I wore last summer, and that’s when I realized that last summer I was still porky enough to be sportin’ maternity clothes. (If I’m being honest with myself, probably I didn’t need them anymore, but they are so darn comfortable. It’s hard to argue with a shirt that never makes you suck in.)

Honey-Drizzled Bleu Cheese Strawberry Bites

I tried to buy clothes a few weeks ago. You know, to make up for the fact that in no universe is it acceptable for me to be wearing maternity shirts when my baby just learned how to walk. (yay!) For some reason I always want to buy sweaters. Even when it’s a thousand degrees outside.

I was at Costco the other day (yet another Costco story!) when I saw this cute sweater (see??) and a comfy-looking skirt. I threw them in the cart with about that much thought.

Honey-Drizzled Bleu Cheese Strawberry Bites

Eric saw me try them on later and he’s like, “Karen I’m pretty sure I saw an old lady wearing that exact same sweater at church last Sunday.”

This is why I have 4 summer-appropriate shirts. No, not because Eric is one of those “honest” people. It comes down to A) I was trying to buy a sweater in June and B) it really was pretty ugly.

Karen, the only clothes you’re allowed to buy at Costco are socks. That’s final. (Future Karen, you may argue that sometimes Costco has a diamond in the rough. True enough, but clearly you wouldn’t recognize it.)

Honey-Drizzled Bleu Cheese Strawberry Bites

Ya’ll ready for this? Honey-Drizzled Bleu-Cheese Strawberry Bites.

Honey-Drizzled Bleu Cheese Strawberry BitesThis is one of those non-recipes. It’s more an idea than anything. Tart cheese+fruit+honey on a cracker or crostini. But there are some ideas that just deserve to be shared, you know? What if the first guy to come up with a PB&J had kept it all to himself? I mean, would life even be worth it?

This is great party food because you don’t even have to do anything. Okay, slice the strawberries I guess, but you can do that ahead of time. Then let guests assemble their cracker-bleu-cheese-strawberry-honey combo. Or try grapes and goat cheese. Or peaches and brie. Or pear and gorgonzola. If only matching my clothes was as easy as pairing fruit and cheese!

Do you guys give up? Or are you thirsty for more?
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter

Honey-Drizzled Bleu Cheese Strawberry Bites

• water crackers, or any kind of cracker
  • strawberries, hulled and sliced
  • block of bleu cheese, softened to room temperature (not crumbled)
  • good quality honey

1. Set out the bleu cheese 30 minutes before serving.
  2. Top a cracker with a small slice of softened bleu cheese (Or spread it).
  3. Place a few strawberries on top, then drizzle with honey.

This is best as a self-serve appetizer. If you make them ahead things will get soggy. Instead, write on a card how it's to be assembled and let guests serve themselves.

Source: The Food Charlatan, inspired by a sample at Trader Joe’s

Need some more appetizers?

Fresh Bruschetta and Lentil DipFresh Bruschetta Lentil Dip

Bacon & Pepper-Jack Stuffed Crescent RollsBacon and Pepper-Jack Stuffed Crescent Rolls

Deviled Guacamole EggsDeviled Guacamole Eggs

Goat Cheese, Pesto, and Sun-Dried Tomato TerrineGoat Cheese, Pesto, and Sun-Dried Tomato Terrine

Sriracha Cheddar Popcorn

Sriracha Cheddar Popcorn

Need more?

Roasted Grapes Hazelnut Goat Cheese Crostini from The Adventures of MJ and Hungryman

Hot Caprese Dip from Heather Christo

Pizza Fondue from Neighborfood << love this fun idea! Great for parties.

Easy Strawberry Salsa from She Wears Many Hats

1. says

Looks delicious! Perfect for an evening outside. I always buy tshirts or stuff I can’t wear to work… and then I lament that I have nothing to wear to work… and then I always end up wearing the same two shirts on the weekend… because they are so comfy.
    Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted…Homemade CrackersMy Profile

2. says

I am totally cracking up at not wasting a good outfit on an insignificant day – haha I totally feel the same way and keep turning to my baggy sweatshirts on days that we will just be lounging around :) These strawberry bites are too cute and love that they don’t take too much time to whip up! Mmm, blue cheese and strawberries, they sound like a winner to me :)

3. Sarah says

So this would have to be cheddar and apple (or Asian pear!) for me because I am super wimpy about cheese. Good thing I never ended up going on a study abroad to France…

4. says

Don’t feel bad for trying to buy clothes at Costco, I buy Shawn golf shirts there all the time! And I’ve even gotten myself some cute workout jackets. But that’s kind of cheating because I can try the jackets on in the store.

This is totally an appetizer I would LOVE at a party. Bleu cheese and strawberry is such a great combo, love them in salads together. But kind of loving them even more on this chip together covered in honey.
    Natalie @ Tastes Lovely recently posted…4 Ingredient Classic Potato SaladMy Profile

5. says

Puahahaha! You’re only allowed to buys socks at Costco? but but they have some cute things from time to time (that’s what I tell Tim..all my impulse purchases are collecting dust somewhere). So socks are good. I actually LOVE maternity clothes. Whenever we stroll around Target, I would say “this is so darn cute!” and Tim would remind me that I’m in the maternity section. Who gives? ;) Love these bites although I still haven’t opened up to blue cheese yet…perhaps brie or goat cheese? Mmm..all your snacks sound fabulous. I’m esp digging the sriracha popcorn!
    Min recently posted…CSA Box and Weekly Meals #4My Profile

6. says

It is quite possible that there might be one (or two) pairs of maternity garment bottoms that I may occasionally still wear when I am feeling extremely puffy or bloated. Maybe. Perhaps. (And my baby is going into second grade in the fall.)
    Changing the subject, bleu cheese is my favorite and my best. This looks delicious.
    Ami recently posted…And after grief, comes tomatoes.My Profile

7. says

Oh Karen. You make me laugh without fail every time I visit your blog! Luckily for me, my mom used to dress me in the occasional Costco item when I was younger so now I avoid their clothing section automatically. Otherwise I’d probably be right next to you wearing a matching sweater. WHO ARE WE to turn our noses up at comfy clothes?! We are not people who should be doing that. And I speak from experience, having my own 4-summer-shirt-rotation thing going on.

(PS. These look delicious. I want to have a party just so I can make these!!)
    Erika recently posted…Piadina Grilled CheeseMy Profile

8. says

I do that too! Especially with shorts and jeans, but with shirts too. I’m currently in love with (and actually wearing) a $5 running shirt from Walmart. No, I don’t wear it to exercise… It’s so cute and comfy that I don’t want to stink it up! And yes, it’s one of those flowy tops to hide the fact that I’ve been eating cupcakes all day and had to send you some so I’d stop. ;) I’m absolutely loving the fruit, cheese and honey combo you have going on here! I’d probably just skip the crackers and grab a bowl and spoon instead. So good!
    Amy @ Amy’s Healthy Baking recently posted…Skinny BLTs with White Garlic SauceMy Profile

9. says

oh my gawd, I love these!!! I’m with you on my summer wardrobe. . need to go shopping stat and it’s already july! :) and hey, Costco ain’t so bad. . it is my go-to for socks and sports bras and sometimes (only sometimes) you can find a pretty rad sweatshirt or hoodie. ;)
    Alice // Hip Foodie Mom recently posted…Spicy Korean Grilled ChickenMy Profile