Almost One Hour Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
I know, I know, this title is ridiculously long. But I want you to have all the facts: these are PUMPKIN cinnamon rolls that are SO soft and tender, rolled up with a lot of filling. Then you drizzle them with Caramel Frosting that has cream cheese in it to cut the sweetness. YOU. GUYS.
My kids ask for stuff all the time, and I’m always telling them to add it to their Christmas list. This worked like a charm when they were young because they forget completely within 15 seconds. Now that the kids are a little older it’s getting more complicated. And hilarious. I’ve been recording all the things Truman (who’s 4) has been asking me to add to his Christmas list:
- A flower-shaped pink nail file
- Fishing pole
- A big bag of red hots candy
- An octagon
- One of the trellises from the rose garden (to climb on)
- Something to dig up weeds with
- A pumpkin smoothie
And then tonight we were having meatballs and broccoli for dinner. Truman kept telling me how much he LOVED THE MEATBALLS: “For Christmas I’m asking for a meatball seed! So that I can plant a meatball tree!”
Charlotte: “Truman, there’s no such thing as a meatball tree.”
Truman: Meatball bush?
Truman: Meatball plant?
Truman, undeterred: I’m asking for a bag of meatballs THIS high (spreads arms wide), with this broccoli in it too (points at plate).
Can you imagine if we actually wrapped all this up and gave it to him for Christmas? Worst parents ever? Or BEST parents ever?? “Here’s a body-size bag-o-meatballs for you, son!” He would be gleeful I’m sure.
Today’s recipe is ridiiiiculous. Take any dessert and add pumpkin, people automatically freak about the holidays. Take any dessert and add Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting, and people just freak. So really this is a win-win here. Or maybe a freak-freak? Okay this is getting weird.
I made these in 2 hours, and that included photographing them. If you are not a food blogger snapping photos and jotting down every step of the recipe, and don’t have a baby dismantling your dishwasher, then I predict it will take you about an hour and 20 minutes to put this together. Which is a heck of a lot quicker than your average cinnamon roll recipe, which can be upwards of 3 hours, right?
Cheat buttermilk is A-ok.
^This is the bubbly butter and brown sugar. Add the cream cheese after.
Make these soon my friends. Bask in caramel cream cheese-y goodness. Maybe if you ask really nice, Santa will deliver a Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Seed that you can plant this year. Or maybe just a big ol’ bag of them.
Almost One Hour Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting12 large rolls adjust servings
These are PUMPKIN cinnamon rolls that are SO soft and tender, rolled up with maybe a bit much filling (is that possible?). Then you drizzle them with Caramel Frosting that has cream cheese in it to cut the sweetness. YOU. GUYS.
First mix together
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup warm buttermilk (cheat version is ok*)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 5 and 1/2 (or up to 6) cups BREAD flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the filling
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed (I used dark)
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
For the caramel cream cheese frosting
- 1/4 cup salted butter (half stick)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (I used dark)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- dash salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Turn your oven on to the warm setting, about 170 degrees F.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine yeast, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 cup warm water, 3/4 cup warm buttermilk, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt. Make sure that the butter and buttermilk are not too hot, or it will kill the yeast. You want to be able to touch it with your finger with no discomfort.
- Put the bowl in the warm oven and set a timer for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 9x13 inch pan (you could also use a large baking sheet if you like your rolls baked so that they're not touching each other so much. They will likely bake faster.) After 12 minutes, remove from oven and turn the oven up to 375 degrees F.
- Combine egg and pumpkin in a small bowl, then add to the yeast mixture (The yeast should have puffed up by now. If it hasn't, then start over. You killed your yeast!)
- Using the dough hook or a wooden spoon, stir in the flour 1 cup at a time. In between adding cups, add 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg.
- Knead the dough (by hand or with the mixer) for 8-10 minutes. It should be smooth and elastic. Try not to add too much flour.
- Let the dough rest 3 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- In a small bowl melt 1/4 cup butter. Add 1 cup brown sugar, 2 and 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon, and 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle roughly 12x16 inches long. Spread the filling all over the dough. Work quickly, the dough rises very fast.
- Tightly roll up the dough, rolling from the long edge. Seal the edges with your fingers, wetting your fingers if necessary, then roll it until the seam is on the bottom.
- Use a very sharp knife to cut into 12 rolls.
- Place the rolls in the prepared dish.
- Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out completely dry. The tops should be browned a little.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium high heat. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and 2 tablespoons milk. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Add in cream cheese and use an electric mixer to beat it in until all lumps are smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the frosting over the cinnamon rolls and serve warm!
by The Food Charlatan
More cinnamon rolls to love!
One Hour Cinnamon Rolls << this is a go to recipe around here!
More pumpkin rolls from friends!
Pumpkin Brioche Cinnamon Rolls with Cinnamon Frosting from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
Pumpkin Spice Latte Cinnamon Rolls from Living Locurto
Pumpkin Caramel Pecan Rolls from A Dash of Sanity
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.