These waffles are for CHOCOLATE LOVERS. Or anyone human, really. Crispy on the outside, perfectly gooey from the chocolate chunks on the inside. Then drizzled with chocolate ganache and fresh strawberries. If you want to pamper the women in your life on Mother’s Day, I’m telling you friends, this is it.
SPOILER ALERT—Don’t read this if you are a Grey’s Anatomy fan! McDreamy is DEAD. That’s right folks, the main character’s love interest for 10 years has officially croaked.
I don’t watch Grey’s Anatomy, but Facebook told me about this monumental news, and I got sucked into reading people’s reactions on multiple sites. I can’t help myself, it’s just kind of funny. Of course if I actually watched the show I’m sure this would put me in a bad mood for a week, but since I don’t…it’s kind of funny. (Especially because his name is McDreamy.)
My sister Nikki is an author. She was telling me the other day that one of her agent’s interns was reading a draft of Nikki’s novel, and when something in the story didn’t go the way she anticipated, she almost threw her tablet across the room in disgust.
How awesome is that?? Not that you’re making people feel disgusted, or in Shonda Rimes (creator of Grey’s) case, anger/sorrow, but that you’re making them FEEL something. I think it’s probably every writer’s dream to be able to reach their audience so viscerally. I’ll admit, I’m the same way. I put a lot of effort into the things I write on this blog, and I would be pretty bummed if I thought that you weren’t getting at least a chuckle every now and then.
RIP McDreamy, and a round of applause to Shonda, who wrote a story that made thousands of women cry into their ice cream this week. Shakespeare would be proud.
In case you are a McDreamster (is there a name for Dreamy fans?) I have got a CURE ALL for you today! Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate, every crying woman’s dream.
Can you believe these waffles? They are so good you guys. And so, so chocolatey. The strawberries add the perfect balance. Every time you think you’ve had too rich of a bite, you can pop in a strawberry and be ready for round 2. Have a glass of milk handy, it’s pretty much essential. Make this for Mother’s Day! I can’t think of anything more perfect to celebrate mom’s than giving them All The Chocolate.
Do you guys give up? Or are you thirsty for more?
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
Dark Chocolate Waffles with Ganache and Strawberries
For the waffles:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup olive oil, lightly flavored
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, 60-70%, finely chopped
- Nonstick spray
For the ganache:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pinch of salt
- strawberries, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the egg whites to your stand mixer or another bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and whisk together 3 egg yolks, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients; don't over-mix. A few dry spots are ok.
- Beat the egg whites in your stand mixer or with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in half of the egg whites (don't over mix! Fold, not stir!)
- Add the chopped chocolate and the remaining egg whites and gently fold in until combined.
- Heat waffle iron and cook according to directions, making sure to coat the iron with nonstick spray.
- Turn your oven on to the warm setting (170 degrees F). Place a baking sheet topped with a cooling rack in the oven, and set the waffles on it to keep warm until ready to serve. (This keeps them from getting soggy.) Cover them with foil if it's going to be a while.
- Meanwhile, make the ganache. Add the cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for about a minute and a half, stirring halfway, or until bubbles form on the edges.
- Immediately add the chocolate chips and let sit for one minute. Then whisk until all the lumps are gone and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the butter and salt. If it returns to room temperature and thickens before you serve it, just throw it in the microwave for a bit until it's liquid again.
Use a light-tasting olive oil. And be gentle folding in those egg whites! You want nice and fluffy waffles.
More Mother’s Day breakfast ideas!
Did you miss this Overnight Blueberry French Toast Casserole I posted earlier this week? So good!
Liege Waffles with Pearl Sugar:
My favorite classic Waffles, recipe is from my awesome mother-in-law:
More crazy chocolate waffles!
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake Waffles from Candid Appetite
Whole Wheat Chocolate Banana Waffles from Chocolate and Carrots
Dark Chocolate Waffles Cake with Mascarpone Whipped Cream from Foolproof Living
I TOTALLY CRIED into my ice cream. I started crying and got ice cream just to cry into it. I wish I had these waffles though.
I have never wanted waffles so badly in my entire life-which is saying something because I despise waffles.
I haven’t yet watched the episode, and I’m a fan (but don’t worry, I already knew about Mc Dreamy’s fate haha). But let’s be honest, GA should’ve ended seasons ago…
So I’ve discovered your blog today, through a BuzzFeed neswletter. And I’m in love with it! Have already saved lots of recipes here. You can definitly be happy, cause your writing is amazing! I love how you tell the stories and talk about the food. So yeah… you’ve gotta a new brazillian fan (sorry about typos and mistakes here).
Keep on with the awesome work, I’ll definitly be around to check it out =)
Oh whew! You had me scared there for a minute Isadora I would have hated to ruin McDreamy’s death for you!! :) Thank you for all the fun compliments, I’m so glad to have you here. And ps I didn’t see a single typo! :) Welcome!
What’s dreamy are your photos – so clear I can see blue sky and clouds reflected in the chocolate ganache! This looks SO good.
haha! Thanks mom!
What is “lightly flavored” olive oil?
Hi Gila! Lightly flavored olive oil just has a more neutral taste, as opposed to extra virgin olive oil. It will say “extra light” on the bottle. Vegetable oil would be a fine substitute.
I think you know how I feel about dark chocolate and strawberries! A total win! These waffles look spectacular! I don’t watch Grey’s either but watching everyone flip the f&*k out on facebook/twitter was rather amusing lol! Love these waffles girl!
I’m not a McDreamy fan, but I sure would like a plate of these waffles. I mean, I can make myself feel sad about something else. Like, right now I’m sad I don’t have a plate of these waffles.
I stopped watching Grey’s Anatomy after the plane crash a few seasons ago.. It was just getting too crazy for me! I did however see A LOT of upset facebook posts about it! Hah! These waffles sound amazing, chocolate everything, I’m in!!
Wondering how I only just found your blog TODAY. Your photography is absolutely insane and I have never read a more perfect about page. Keep it up girl! I’ll be here following you :)
Thank you Leigha! I’m grinning ear to ear :) Glad to have you here! (This is the part where I bust another rhyme, right? Anybody want a peanut? Please tell me you’ve seen Princess Bride.)
I don’t follow Grey’s all that well anymore, but I did watch the last episode and saw how McDreamy died…….and eating all these chocolate waffles into a choco coma would have been a far better way to go…just saying.
OMG, Karen, will you please adopt me?? These waffles look too good, I just want to face-plant in it!
Haha! Yes dear daughter, come I will make you waffles! :) :)
I say it all the time I am not much of a chocolate person – BUT when berreis are involved – count me in! these look incredible
I am totally with you Heather! You can’t stop the chocolate-berry combo :)
In my world, chocolate must be paired with either fruit or nuts. I’ll take these waffles with whipped cream on top too. Your photos make those waffles and berries look gorgeous!
Thanks so much Julia!! Why didn’t I think of whipped cream???