Orange Watermelon Sunshine Smoothie

This bright breakfast smoothie is a healthy way to start off any summer morning! It’s got watermelon and orange, yes, but also tomato and carrot. Don’t be weirded out. It’s so good!

Orange Watermelon Sunshine Smoothie from The Food Charlatan

Are you good at guessing people’s ages? I’m the worst. I have a strict no-guessing policy (this goes for pregnant ladies too–or NOT PREGNANT LADIES.)

Get this story: my mom used to work as a telephone operator. (First of all, how cool is that.) One day she asked one of her coworker friends if she was pregnant and the girl said NO. My mom was horrified obviously, but THEN, her friend came back a few weeks later and said that she actually was pregnant at the time my mom asked and didn’t even know it. Moral of the story? Don’t ever ask people unless you already know, or unless you happen to be psychic like my mom.

Orange Watermelon Sunshine Smoothie from The Food Charlatan

Orange Watermelon Sunshine Smoothie from The Food Charlatan

A friend of mine told me this story about a huge family reunion she went to when she was 12. She looked really young for her age. Some relative she hadn’t seen in years came up to her.

“You sure are getting big! How old are you now, 6?
Um, no.
Are you 7?  No.  8?  No.  9?  No.  10?  No.  11?  No.

YOU’RE FIVE???”

Aaaaand this is why you don’t guess my friends. You could very well be the reason somebody has to go to therapy someday.

Orange Watermelon Sunshine Smoothie from The Food Charlatan

Sunshine Smoothie time! Okay so there isn’t ACTUALLY sunshine in this smoothie, but I swear it’s pretty close to what the real deal must taste like. (No, not burning hot molten lava, smart aleck.) The real name for this smoothie is Red Juice, because my awesome sister-in-law Reesy made it up, and that’s what she calls it. It’s not exactly juice, but I suppose calling it a smoothie is a stretch too, since there are only a few ice cubes in it.

Orange Watermelon Sunshine Smoothie from The Food Charlatan

Well call it what you want, it’s delicious, and it’s the perfect start to a summer morning. Don’t be put off by the carrot and tomato, I swear it doesn’t taste like nasty vegetable smoothie. (I’m picky. Trust me.) Carrots and tomatoes are quite sweet, and the natural sugar in the watermelon doesn’t hurt either. Reesy told me that she often uses cantaloupe in place of the watermelon (wouldn’t be as sweet), or you could even try mango or peach. This recipe makes two 16-ounce smoothies, but it’s really easy to cut in half if you’re breakfasting alone.

Orange Watermelon Sunshine Smoothie

Yield: Makes 32 ounces

Recipe by Reesy

Ingredients

• 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into inch-long chunks
  • 1 medium size vine-ripe tomato, cored
  • 1 and 1/2 cups watermelon
  • half of a banana, frozen would be good, but not necessary
  • 1 and 1/2 oranges, peeled
  • 4-6 cubes of ice

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and whir until smooth! Makes two 16-ounce servings.

More easy breakfast ideas!

Raspberry Peanut Butter Smoothie:

Raspberry Peanut Butter Smoothie from The Food Charlatan

Strawberry Mango Protein Smoothie: (Eric and I drink this almost every morning!)

Strawberry Mango Protein Smoothie

Maple Pecan Granola with Cherries:

Maple Pecan Granola with Cherries from TheFoodCharlatan.com

Breakfast Banana Split:

Breakfast Banana Split from TheFoodCharlatan.com

You’ll like these smoothies too!

Kick Booty Kale Smoothie from Well Plated
Blueberry Watermelon Smoothie from Add a Pinch
Mango Carrot Smoothie from Culinary Hill

Comments

comments

Comments

1. says

Bahaha I LOVE that story! SO funny! I am the WORST at guessing ages too…so I just don’t.
    BUT, what I do like to do is drink super refreshing smoothies with orange and watermelon which you just so happened to make! Pinning!

2. says

My patients used to make me guess their age. You’re old, stop making me guess. I would always feel bad when I guessed 80 and they were only 65. This smoothie… Well, it’s absolutely gorgeous. I love me some watermelon. Pinned.

3. Sarah says

Breakfasting alone…I’m sure that sounds lonely to some but to me it sounds amazing haha! Also, your photos are gorgeous, I love how healthy they make me feel without even needing to drink the smoothie :-)

4. says

I can’t even begin to express my love for watermelon. I could eat it every day. I love the look of this smoothie. It looks like a big smile in a glass. I’m definitely giving it a try.

5. says

I’m terrible at guessing people’s age too. I don’t feel too bad though because I’m often mistaken for being in high school or just starting college…it’s a little embarrassing. I’m totally crushing on the color and flavors of this smoothie! It looks so good!
    Danae @ Recipe Runner recently posted…Cinnamon Peach Yogurt CakeMy Profile

6. says

LOL first of all I totally cracked up at your story. My mom did the exact same thing to the mom of one of my elementary school bffs. She saw her in the grocery store years later and apparently the mom looked pregnant…and my mom goes “Are you pregnant?!” and the other mom shakes her head and awkwardly laughs, she says “no, just a big breakfast” and my mom just says the first dumb thing that comes to her head like “that must have been a big breakfast!” Let’s just say it was pure horror and I’m so glad I’m not friends with that woman’s daughter anymore. I can’t imagine having to see her again! Oh and the looking younger than you are…happens to me all the time. Most people think I’m 17 or something when I’m actually 25. My new neighbor started scolding the waiter at his house party for serving me wine, thinking I was totally underage.

Okay but enough of my rambling! This smoothie looks so so yummy! I love the color! It reminds me of those big stick popsicles. I love that you can sneak in some veggies too without it tasting gross like a v8 or something. I will definitely have to try this!

7. says

I am right there with you–I never guess ages! I always get it wrong. This smoothie is so up my alley. I love adding carrots to smoothies, but really like to pair it with sweet fruit because then I can get my kids to drink it up too. :) I love the idea of watermelon and orange plus the carrot. Such a great combination!!!

8. says

I swear, I still never ask women if they’re pregnant. And I’m so incredibly obviously pregnant right now, and I’ve never had someone randomly ask me! I even was talking to someone today, mentioned my due date, and she goes “you’re having a baby?!” Haha.
    Anyways. This smoothie sounds incredible. It sounds like summer sunshine in a glass.
    Melissa @ Treats With a Twist recently posted…Roasted Plums with Yogurt and HoneyMy Profile

• says

Not a silly question Sarah! I have a Ninja and it works great. If you have a less expensive blender then it will still work, I might just chop the pieces a bit smaller. Watch it and add more liquid if you need to. Hope this helps! Enjoy!

9. Mari says

I love your writing in this entry (and in most, if not all, of them). The conversational tone is always so polite, but familiar. I’ve been looking for a good smoothie recipe, and this just might be it. Have a nice day!