Simple sautéed asparagus pairs well with bright cherry tomatoes. A splash of cream and Parmesan rounds everything out. A perfect side dish for a holiday meal.
Photo credit: Flip Flip Photography
I’m not really sure how she succeeded in making my baby look like the Jolliest Christmas Elf That Ever Was, but she totally did. I can just see him with a tiny little hammer tinkering away at an Etch-a-Sketch, pointy ears a-twitching.
As if to rub it in our face, Charlotte the Stoic was laughing and singing the whole car ride home. She giggled like a maniac about how half of her booty is purple and the other half is green and poopy poopy poopy. How did I not think of resorting to potty humor when it mattered most??
If you want to see the rest of the shoot, here it is. Thanks Sandi for photoshopping in both mine and Eric’s heads on the family shot so that we didn’t look like huge-mouthed Muppet characters (we were trying to make our kids smile for the camera.) Your talent is dumbfounding.
So who’s ready for some Starburst Jelly Beans and giant Reeses Eggs? Oh wait, I mean healthy asparagus and spring ham. Whichever way you swing, Easter is coming up and I am SO excited! Easter has the best candy. I mean, the best vegetables. Whatever.
This asparagus is sautéed up with some cherry tomatoes and finished off with a splash of cream and a smattering of fresh Parm for good measure. I mean, you can’t really go wrong with this combo. I blanched the asparagus first to keep it pretty, but you can skip that step and just sauté it if you want. This would be a perfectly easy side to add to your Easter menu! And don’t forget these Gruyere-Crisped Potatoes Au Gratin. That would be tragic. Happy spring everybody!!
Sautéed Asparagus and Cherry TomatoesMakes 4-6 side servings adjust servings
- 6-8 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch (1 pound) asparagus
- 1 dry pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Wash the asparagus and snap off the woody ends.
- In a large pot, bring 6-8 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add half a teaspoon of salt. When the water is boiling, add the asparagus and set a timer for one minute (don't turn down the heat). Just one minute, don't overdo it! You can do this in 2 batches if your pot is small.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the asparagus to a colander or bowl. Immediately run the asparagus under cold water for at least 10-15 seconds. (Or you could do an ice bath) You just need to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Cut half of the cherry tomatoes in half.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic when it is hot. Saute for 1 minute, then add all the cherry tomatoes, both the whole ones and the cut ones.
- Cook the tomatoes for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until some of the whole ones have burst. Turn the heat up to medium high. Add the blanched asparagus and continue to cook for another 5-8 minutes, or until the asparagus is as crisp-tender as you like it. (Taste it!)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons of cream and some grated parmesan. Eat hot!
by The Food Charlatan
Source: The Food Charlatan
Some other asparagus recipes to get you in the mood for spring!