Reese’s Stuffed Brown Butter Brownies
An easy recipe for ultra-decadent brownies (made with brown butter) that have a surprise inside: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Yeah, the big ones. I’m not messing around.
So today I was literally running around like a crazy person. Long to-do list, you ask? Errands to run? Um, no. More like the barefoot, dodging legos, literal kind of running. In my house.
I’ve been terrible lately about keeping any sort of exercise routine. There’s always some excuse right? No time, I already showered, I just ate 3 Banana Churros and now I’m too full. << Yeah, I know. Balance is not my forte, okay?
But last week I decided I had had enough. No excuses, I just needed to move, and I knew that if I conceptualized that thought for too long my resolve would fizzle. I needed to surprise attack my own body.
So I started jogging from room to room. Why not, right? At least that’s what I thought for my first few laps. This isn’t so bad. Who needs a treadmill anyway? Waste of space, if you ask me. On a treadmill you don’t even get to hurdle tiny (but deadly) Elsa barbie shoes. (Clearing the halls for running would have qualified as a stalling tactic for I Can’t Commit Karen, hence the toy land mines.)
Pretty soon the kids were both sitting on the bean bag, doing nothing but watching me as I huffed and puffed by every 10 seconds. I thought they were about to bust out the popcorn.
Welcome to this chocolate-peanut-butter coma. You might want to start running around your house this very instant in preparation for this mad decadence. The concept is simple: take the richest, fudgiest, chocolate-iest brownie you could ever imagine, and shove a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup inside. I don’t really feel like I need to go on, but let me just tell you the secret–it’s the brown butter. It doesn’t taste like brown butter, just gives it a really deep flavor.
This is my go-to Brown Butter Brownies recipe that I make ALL the time…plus Reese’s. If you’re not feeling the peanut butter, just mix in 1 cup of dark or semi-sweet chocolate. Any way you jazz up these brownies, you will get people hunting you down for this recipe. Also, if you are getting together to watch the Super Bowl this Sunday, I can’t think of a better way to top off chili and appetizers than these babies.
Reese’s Stuffed Brown Butter Brownies
- 2 and 1/2 sticks of salted butter (1 and 1/4 cup)
- 2 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 large Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by lining with parchment paper or foil and then spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Or just spray the pan.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally. The butter will foam up, then back down and start forming brown-colored milk solids or “bits”. When it is a nice light brown and it starts to smell like you could drink it straight, that’s when you know it’s done.
- While your butter is browning, combine sugar, cocoa, and salt in a bowl or stand mixer.
- Once the butter is nice and brown, immediately pour the butter into the bowl with the sugar and cocoa (so that it stops cooking. You don’t want it to burn). Beat the mixture until it is smooth, almost creamy.
- Add the water and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between each addition.
- Add the flour and mix until just incorporated. Batter will be about the consistency of cement. Have a taste. It’s awesome.
- Use a sturdy rubber spatula to spread batter into the prepared pan.
- Unwrap 12 (or 11...) large Reeses PB cups and press them into the brownie batter. Swirl the top with a spatula, so that the PB Cups are covered.
- Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out batter-free. The center of the pan should be mostly set.
by The Food Charlatan
More PB and Chocolate:
Even more chocolate and peanut butter from friends:
Want easy dinners?
Sign up for my FREE email course, Five 30-Minute Meals for When You Forget Dinner is a Thing. I'll send you easy recipes to solve the dinnertime madness!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.