Cherry Tomato, Leek, and Spinach Quiche
This quiche is perfect for spring! A vegetarian recipe that combines cherry tomatoes, leeks, spinach and goat cheese to make a hearty breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
The other day Eric went for a run, then came back and took a shower. When he came from his room, Charlotte said, “Wow Dad, you smell good!”
My brother Nathan was visiting, and to be silly, he said to Charlotte, “What does your nose smell like?” And before she could do anything more than giggle, Truman chimed in with, “It smells like boogers!”
It was quite a revelation to all of us. What if our noses really DO smell like boogers? We would never know.
(By the way, I didn’t used to think jokes about boogers were funny. I used to be proper. I also used to not be a mom. Having a 3-year-old boy whose favorite word is “poop” just kind of changes the way you look at the world.)
Do you love quiche as much as I do? I don’t know why I don’t make them more often. There is just something magical about eating pie crust for breakfast. Especially when that flaky crust is filled with eggs, basil, yummy veggies, and GOAT CHEESE.
If you are not a goat cheese fan, make this quiche as written and please let me know when you’ve changed your mind. (Kelly, I’m looking at you. My friend Kelly once told me all the things that she thought goat cheese smelled like, and I haven’t spoken to her since. Just kidding. But seriously Kelly. Jump on the goat cheese train.) I live for this stuff.
I also love the flavor that the leeks add to this quiche, but if leeks aren’t your thing you can totally substitute green onions. Or regular onions. Honestly, quiche is pretty adaptable. Go crazy! I love using Almondmilk in this recipe instead of the typical cream or half and half called for in quiche. I didn’t notice a difference at all, and it’s way fewer calories!
This would be perfect to make next week for Mother’s Day, if you are hosting brunch!
If you make this, let me know! Use #TheFoodCharlatan on Instagram so I can see it!
Cherry Tomato, Leek, and Spinach Quiche
- 1 9- inch pie crust
- 1 cup packed sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- half a leek*, chopped
- 1 9 ounce box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- most of a 10 ounce box of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 large eggs
- 1 & 1/4 cups Almond Breeze Almondmilk Original
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Use nonstick spray or butter to grease your pan.
- Arrange the pie crust into a quiche pan or 9 inch pie pan. Trim the edges if necessary.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on the bottom of the crust.
- Trim the green parts of the leek, as well as the roots. Spilt the leek lengthwise. Run under cold water, using your fingers to bend back the layers. Leeks are super dirty, so do a good job. Save half of the leek for something else (top a pizza! Throw in soup!) Use a sharp knife to chop one half of the leek, make the pieces about the size you would chop an onion. Sprinkle the chopped leek over the cheese.
- Use your hand to squeeze the thawed out spinach. Try to get out as much moisture as you can. Spread the chopped spinach over the leeks.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup fresh basil next.
- Crumble the goat cheese using a fork. Sprinkle over the basil.
- Use a serrated knife to halve most of the cherry tomatoes. Fit as many as you can on top of the quiche. I used maybe all but 10.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together 6 eggs, Almondmilk, salt, and pepper. Beat for about 1 minute, then pour over the quiche.
- If your quiche pan separates, or if your quiche looks very full, make sure you place the dish on a baking sheet just in case it leaks or overflows.
- Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes, or until the top has started to brown and the quiche doesn't wiggle when you shake it.
- Remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes before diving in. Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almondmilk. Thanks for supporting the amazing brands that keep this blog going!
You will love these other savory breakfast ideas!
Tomato Tart with Blue Cheese << this one is sooo good with fresh heirloom tomatoes!
Asparagus, Tomato, and Goat Cheese Quiche << today’s recipe is based on this one. It’s a favorite. I can’t stop messing with recipes I love this much, hence today’s version!
Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Frittata << you won’t miss the crust. Trust me!
More quiche recipes from friends!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.