Peanut Butter Butterscotch Popcorn Balls
Are you a popcorn ball lover? I never had them as a kid, but I have changed my ways. This recipe combines butterscotch and peanut butter to create the ultimate treat! Popcorn balls never looked so good! Plus, they are easy and done in 10 minutes.
My daughter Valentine is about a year and a half old, and uses a few words to communicate: Mama, Dada, thank you, cookie, pizza, and bite. As in, “give me a bite of that right now,” usually asked when I am eating a dessert.
I just want you to know that Charlotte, my oldest, didn’t taste sugar until she was like 2 years old. When my second son, Truman, was a baby, my cousin gave him a bite of ice cream, and I freaked out as if she had let him hold a snake or something. (Sorry about that again, Lani.)
Third baby problems are legit, guys. You can’t just give your other kids candy in their Easter baskets and expect the baby not to notice. She’s a little scavenger. She knows what the good stuff is…that’s why I hid these popcorn balls from her.
I can’t think of popcorn balls without thinking of this iconic song from when I was kid at church, do you know it?
I looked out the window and what did I see?
Popcorn popping on the apricot tree!
Spring had brought me such a nice surprise,
Blossoms popping right before my eyes.
I could take an armful and make a treat,
a popcorn ball that would smell so sweet.
It wasn’t really so, but it seemed to be
popcorn popping on the apricot tree!
I’ve been singing this song since I was a toddler, and I never understood it until I was at least 11 or 12. Imagine my surprise to learn that the song actually made sense, and wasn’t just total nonsense. It’s kind of like watching Bambi the first time as an adult and you realize what actually happens. Ah, childhood experiences!
My mom was visiting one day and randomly brought a bag of pre popped popcorn to my house. Then my sister called later and told me about these amazing popcorn balls she had just created…it was fate. I had all the ingredients and made it in just a couple minutes. Then I ate all of them. (Just kidding. I split half with Valentine.)
Peanut Butter Butterscotch Popcorn Balls18-20 adjust servings
Are you a popcorn ball lover? I never had them as a kid, but I have changed my ways. This recipe combines butterscotch and peanut butter (yup that's butter 3x) to create the ultimate treat! Popcorn balls never looked so good!
- 1 and 1/4 cups butterscotch chips
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups big marshmallows (not quite 16 ounces)
- 12 cups popped popcorn (I used a 6 oz bag)
- In a very large microwaveable bowl, add butterscotch chips, butter, and peanut butter.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until most of the lumps are gone.
- Add the marshmallows and stir. Microwave again for about 30 seconds, then stir until smooth. It will have a fudge-like consistency. (Depending on how powerful your microwave is, you may need to put it in again. You just want to microwave it the minimum amount to get it smooth.)
- Moving quickly, add the popcorn to the bowl, if it will fit. Alternatively you can spread the popcorn on a sheet pan and pour the mixture over the top. The mixture is very thick, and will start to harden as it cools, so work as fast as you can! I think I ended up using my hands to get it to come together in the bowl.
- Shape the popcorn into balls and place on wax paper. I made them into balls about the size of my fist, but you can make them as large or as small as you want.
- Let popcorn balls cool. Eat!
by The Food Charlatan
Other fun treats you will love this spring!
10 Minute Caramel Popcorn in the Microwave << for real. 10 minutes.
Butterscotch Peanut Butter Wheaties Treats << my mom made these ALL THE TIME growing up. It was the inspiration for this recipe! They may not look like much, but I’m telling you.
Sticky Sweet and Salty Chex Mix (Christmas Crack) << this stuff is addictive!
Other sweet popcorn treats that you will love from other amazing bloggers!
Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Popcorn Balls from Brown Eyed Baker
Patriotic Popcorn Pops from Cookie Rookie
Marshmallow Popcorn Balls from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Peanut Butter Popcorn Cake from The Baker Mama <<I’ve never even thought of doing a cake! So fun!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.