Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas

Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas

Eric will pretty much go down in history as the Gnutella guy. At least he was pronouncing it right. Have you guys ever pronounced a word wrong in public and had to live it down?

Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas

One time when I was 12, I was giving a short talk in front of my church congregation (like 150 people). I used the word “fatigue” at least twice. Fatigue. Fat-ig-you. Oooooh yeah. Didn’t need pre-teen counseling for that one or anything.

One time when Eric’s sister was young, she was reading aloud for her family and pronounced “slaughter” the way you would say “laughter.”
Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas
Another time Eric’s family was on a road trip, and his grandmother ordered a Chickamunga. “No, Nana, it’s a Chimichanga.” “That’s what I said, a Chickamunga.” I love old people, so much.
Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas
Today I’m posting the recipe for these easy Chickamungas Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas over at Food Apparel. This is my friend Christina’s blog, and she is a fabulous cook. This Horchata is from her blog, which I just made last night to go with the Chimichangas (do it! DO IT!). This Easy Cheddar Cauliflower Soup is a gem from her too. Next I want to try out her Chipotle Lime Coleslaw with Snap Peas. Sounds so good! Oh, and this Parmesan Pull Apart Bread has been on my to-make list for like, a year.
Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas

Head over to Food Apparel to get the recipe for Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas! (Update: I’ve added the recipe below for your convenience, but all the how-to photos are still here.)

Chicken, Tomatillo, and Chipotle Chimichangas

• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon cloves
  • ½ teaspoon coriander
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatillos, drained
  • 8 or 9 burrito-size flour tortillas
  • vegetable oil, for frying
  • toothpicks
  • To garnish:
  • pico de gallo
  • guacamole
  • sour cream
  • queso fresco
  • cilantro
  • fresh lime juice

1. Pat the chicken dry. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the chicken. Cook for about 4 minutes, then flip. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until no longer pink in the middle, or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees. Remove, let cool, and shred with 2 forks. Set aside.
  2. In the same skillet that you cooked the chicken in, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and set over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and chipotle. Cook until onions are mostly translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, and coriander. Cook for another 3 minutes or so.
  4. Add the pinto beans and whole tomatillos. Cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up the tomatillos and some of the beans with a wooden spoon.
  5. Add the cooked chicken and cook for another couple minutes. Turn off the burner and remove from heat.
  6. In a hide-sided skillet, add about a ½ inch of oil. Set over medium heat. After about 5 minutes, test it by tossing in a little piece of tortilla. If the tortilla bubbles immediately, then the oil is hot enough. If not, wait longer.
  7. Cover the tortillas and heat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. You just want to get them pliable enough to be able to fold them.
  8. Add a large spoonful of the filling into the center of a tortilla. Fold it up (see photos) and secure with a toothpick.
  9. Fry the chimichangas 2 at a time. Cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side, then flip and do another 2-3 minutes on the other side. It is done when the tortilla is a light golden brown. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate.
  10. Serve hot with pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, queso fresco, cilantro, and fresh limes.

If you are in a hurry, buy a rotisserie chicken and use 1½ to 2 cups of shredded meat. Or use any cooked chicken!

Source: adapted from The Complete Mexican South American & Caribbean Cookbook by Jane Milton

If you’re looking for some other Mexican inspired recipes for Cinco de Mayo, check these ones out!

HorchataIf you haven’t had this, you haven’t lived.
Krispie Ice Cream Squares
Krispie Ice Cream Squares. Reminiscent of Fried Ice Cream but about 1000x easier.

Chicken Flautas (Taquitos)

Chicken Flautas (Taquitos). These are worth every speck of oil.

Mexican Brownies from Crazy for Crust

Individual 7-Layer Dips from The Girl Who Ate Everything

Homemade Churros with Chocolate Sauce from Just a Taste

Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad) from Closet Cooking

1. says

Growing up for some reason my family always said draaaaaaw for drawer. No clue where that came from… My sister and I didn’t even know we said it weird until we were both married. Now we do it as a joke… but when I’m talking to anyone at work I have to make a point and remember to say it right…. These Chimichangas look amazing by the way!
    Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent recently posted…Dulce de Leche Tres Leches CakeMy Profile

2. says

Those little word slip-ups are so cute! My grandma is like that too. Despite being an English teacher for 30+ years, she always pronounces “Chicago” with an R in the middle… “ChicaRgo.” Priceless! As for these gorgeous chimichangas (a word I was very hesitant to say in public for a while!), they look incredible! And now I’m hungry for dinner all over again… ;)
    Amy @ Amy’s Healthy Baking recently posted…Skinny Lemon Gingersnap Cheesecake BarsMy Profile

3. Alissa says

I just wanted to say that I absolutely love your blog! It is my favorite recipe blog that I’ve stumbled across. I made your prosciutto wrapped chicken the other night and my fiancee and I loved it! Your recipes are creative and not over the top, keep up the fantastic work!

• says

Alissa thank you so much for your sweet comment! You seriously just made my day. I will come back and read this when I’m feeling bloggy discouraged :) And I’m glad you like the prosciutto chicken, it’s one of my favorites too!

4. says

Hi Karen, I look forward to your posts, always a little fun in each one. My word slip-ups are definitely with songs, even when I find out the correct words I stick to the ones I started with. Oh well, love this dish and your garnish, looks delicious!
    cheri recently posted…Dulce de LecheMy Profile

5. says

Ha! This was the best! I have had several word blunders, not the least of which was recently pronouncing cassoulet as cass-o-let to the butcher who quickly told me it was cass-o-lay. French. I tell ya. But the whole slaughter/laughter deal isn’t saying much about our English language either. I’m always going to think of Chickamungas now when I make these and it will definitely make me smile!
    Courtney @ Neighborfood recently posted…Leftovers: April 2014 EditionMy Profile

6. says

I am dying. You are HILARIOUS. Chickamunga. Smh. Old people really are the best. When I was younger, I butchered the word “anxious.” I mean really, how are you supposed to sound THAT one out?!?!
    Erika recently posted…Vegan BibimbapMy Profile

7. says

Lol since I’m perfect in every way I’ve never mispronounced a word ;) My husband does it all the time and I totally get on his case because I’m the grammar/word police. For example, he pronounces “tousle” as “toot-zil”. Drives me nuts. The chuckamunga thing is pretty cute. Old people can get away with almost anything they want. Your chimichangas look damn good, Karen.

8. says

Arghhh mis-pronouncing a word in a front of a bunch of people is THE WORST. I do that all the time and feel like a total idiot every time. According to my family, a few years ago I was pronouncing onion, on-ee-on. I don’t believe this, but you can bet they’ve never let me forget it! Oh, and I’m freaking in love with chimichangas (LOVE THAT WORD) yours look out-of-this-world good. Love your photos. — the lighting is perfect! Pinned to my Mexican pinterest board! :D
    Sarah@WholeandHeavenlyOven recently posted…85+ Mother’s Day Brunch RecipesMy Profile

9. says

I can’t decide which is more fun to say: chiminchangas or chickamungas! Either way, they are fried and wonderful things of fried wonder. Love it.

I once was talking to a professor who had a tendency to make me extra nervous and I said “urethral” instead of “ethereal.” I forget why I was even using such pretentious words–ahh. Embarrassing.
    Danguole recently posted…Mango Shrub MicheladaMy Profile

10. stephanie says

i came over to this recipe after reading about nana & star wars in the fudge pops post, too funny!

and yes, i always hated reading out loud in school for that reason – you’re so focused on reading you aren’t really comprehending what’s being said and you end up reading phonetically. or sometimes you’ve read a word a billion times but never heard it said aloud, or never put the two and two together. i definitely remember stumbling over the title “colonel” in history class all the time. i mean…how is it pronounced KERNEL but it doesn’t even have an R in it?? it’s a cruel trick is what it is.

also, like laura’s comment, i pronounce “drawer” as “draw.” i never knew this sounded weird to anyone until i moved away to college. but i’m from RI, where we drop our R’s (and add them to other words, like soda = soder, lol!) so i guess it can also be a regional thing. like how my partner’s boston accent means that the words “salsa” and “seltzer” sound identical. my accent has faded (unless i’m really mad or i meet someone from home) but if i try to say “drawer” it sounds like i’m having a stroke, haha. draw 4 lyfe!

anyway, i love chimichangas, and now that i know i could make them at home… :))) (those are all my chins.)