Strawberry Truffle Cake
Today I opened the cabinet where the Nutella is stashed, grabbed a too-big spoonful, shoved it in my mouth, then accidentally smacked my forehead into the corner of the still-open cabinet door. HARD.
Strawberry Truffle Cake
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 & 1/3 cups whipping cream
- 1 10-oz package bittersweet chocolate morsels
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3-4 cups strawberries, fresh, chopped
- 6 strawberries, fresh, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup white chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Mix and bake the cake according to package directions. Bake it in a 9x13 inch pan. Let the cake cool for one hour.
- Meanwhile, add the butter and cream to a small saucepan and set over medium heat. When the mixture comes to a boil, add the bittersweet and semi-sweet chocolate and turn off the heat. Let it sit for a minute or two, then stir until smooth.
- Use a knife to cut the cake into 1-inch cubes, and add half the cubes to a mixing bowl. Beat on low until cake is completely crumbly.
- Add 1 and 3/4 cup of the ganache to the mixing bowl. Add the remaining cake cubes, and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Use a wooden spoon to fold in the chopped strawberries. Try not to eat all of it at this point.
- Grab a 9-inch springform pan and line the bottom with a circle of wax paper. Pour or spoon the cake into the pan and smooth the top until it is flat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 45 minutes. Set a timer. You don't want to actually freeze it, just firm it up. If you can't frost it until later, transfer it to the fridge.
- Run a plastic knife around the edge of the pan and gently release the edges of the pan. Invert the cake onto a plate or cake stand and gently remove the wax paper from the now-top.
- Carefully frost the top and sides of the cake with the reserved ganache. Yes, the ganache is very thin. It helps if the cake is still very very cold, so you might want to stick it back in the freezer for a few minutes if it's been a while.
- Arrange the 6 sliced strawberries on top of the cake.
- In a small bowl, combine the white chocolate and oil. Microwave it until the chocolate starts to melt, the stir until smooth. Drizzle the white chocolate over the cake. I added mine to a little plastic bag and snipped a corner.
Heat up the cream and butter and pour the chocolate over when it’s hot.
Smoosh it all into a springform pan,
Firm it up in the freezer and there you go!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.