This easy, show-stopper dinner is healthy to boot. Well I mean besides the cream. But the asparagus totally makes up for that.
Guys, I don’t want to brag or anything, but I’m pretty much single-handedly saving the whales over here. I haven’t had a longer-than-5-minute shower in months. I know the rest of you are getting pounded with snow right now, but we Californians are in drought-land.
Okay…that’s not actually why I’m taking 5-minutes showers. I’m not that good of a person. No, we just have a crappy from-the-past water heater. 5 minutes. That’s it. 5 minutes, and then I’m left with barely warm water. And I like my showers HOT.
I was talking to my friend Lara about this today and she said, “If my skin is not red when I get out, then it wasn’t a hot enough shower.” Yes. Yes.
A sad residual of this fact is that I now only have 1 square foot of shower space that is not filthy. My usual strategy for cleaning the shower is to wipe it down with a magic eraser every day. Because if I have to clean something, doing it with hot water streaming on my skin is how I want it done. (I would clean everything in the shower if I could.)
But who has time for shower-scrubbing when you only have 3 minutes to shampoo AND condition your hair? 2 minutes to shave your legs??
Good thing my mother-in-law is coming to town next week, otherwise my one-square-foot of clean shower would slowly diminish until eventually I’d be showering on tip toe. Nothing beats a mother-in-law when it comes to cleaning motivation. (Love you Kris! :)
I seriously need to get Eric to turn up the temperature on the water heater. He’s going to notice soon that I never shave my legs anymore.
If you are braving the crowded restaurants on V-day, more power to you, but I for one will be making dinner at home. A fast one, that doesn’t require any thought, so that I can get back to making good use of my shaved legs. (Don’t worry, I’ll take a shower in the guest bathroom. TMI?)
This Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken with Asparagus is a good option. Classy, pretty, and suuuper easy.
One last thing: in case you haven’t heard, this Thursday the 13th is officially Galentine’s Day, a day to celebrate us gals and how awesome we are :) Check back for the dessert I will be making, and for links to all the other recipes that some other awesome bloggers will be bringing to the party! #GalentinesDayParty
Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken with AsparagusServes 4 adjust servings
- 1 pound chicken breast, sliced thin (2-3 breasts)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour, or more
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/3 cup cream
- If the chicken breasts are thick, slit them in half lengthwise to make them thinner. Pat them dry with a paper towel, then sprinkle with salt and pepper; go easy on the salt, the prosciutto is salty.
- Rub the chicken with the flour. Wrap each piece of chicken with a piece of prosciutto.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium. When it is hot, add the wrapped chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes, then flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes or so, until browned and it reaches 165 degrees.
- Meanwhile, add about 3 inches of water to a small pot, cover, and put it on to boil. Wash the asparagus and snap off the woody ends. Cut the asparagus into 2 inch pieces. Add to a steamer basket, and when the water in the pot is at a rolling boil, put the basket on top and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Immediately rinse with cold water to stop the cooking and set it aside. (If you don't have a steamer, you can roast the asparagus, or saute it with some oil).
- In a small bowl whisk together the pesto and cream. When the chicken is fully cooked, pour the mixture over the chicken, and add the asparagus. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn off the heat. Serve with potatoes or crusty bread.
by The Food Charlatan
Wrap up those bad boys.