But I’ve changed my ways. Snootified my life, you could say. I’ve even started wearing polo shirts. Just kidding. But I’m telling you, Basil Lemonade is where it’s at. The lemonade is perfect on it’s own (feel free to omit the basil if you want to Rage Against The Prep.) The secret’s in the syrup. You boil the sugar and water together to make a simple syrup, ensuring that the sugar is completely dissolved.
It’s just perfect. The basil honestly doesn’t complicate things too much. Just gives it a lovely aftertaste. This would be the perfect make-ahead drink for a Mother’s Day brunch or lunch!
- 1 cup water
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, packed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh-squeezed lemon juice, 5-6 large lemons
- 7 cups cold water
- fresh basil, to garnish
- lemon wedges, to garnish
- In a medium pot, stir together 1 cup water and 1 3/4 cups sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until the sugar is completely dissolved, it shouldn't take more than a minute or two. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a heat-proof bowl, add the 1/4 cup packed basil. Use your hands to tear up the pieces. Use a wooden spoon to bruise the leaves against the bowl. Keep going until they are nice and dark. You want to get all that flavor.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the basil leaves. Put it in the fridge for about 2-3 hours or until completely chilled. The longer it sits the more basilicious it will be.
- Juice the lemons. Strain it through a colander to remove the seeds, but so that most of the pulp remains.
- Add the lemon juice, 7 cups of water, and ice to a pitcher. Strain the refrigerated syrup through the colander into the pitcher. Discard basil. Stir well.
- Serve with ice, fresh basil, and lemon wedges.
by The Food Charlatan
Source: adapted from Allrecipes.com
Want easy dinners?
Sign up for my FREE email course, Five 30-Minute Meals for When You Forget Dinner is a Thing. I'll send you easy recipes to solve the dinnertime madness!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.