Sticky Sweet-and-Salty Chex Mix (Christmas Crack)
cup (2 sticks) salted butter
and 1/2 cups light corn syrup
and 1/2 cups sugar
and 1/2 to 2 cups salted cashews and/or peanuts (or to taste)
cups corn Chex cereal*
Christmas M&Ms, optional
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil. Once there are bubbles all the way across the surface, set a timer for 3 minutes and stir occasionally. When it is a caramel consistency, remove from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Stir in the cashews and peanuts to get them completely coated.
- Add the Chex to a large bowl, then pour the syrup over the cereal and stir to combine. Stir in the M&Ms at this point if you like.
- Once all the cereal is coated, use a wooden spoon to spread it on a large baking sheet.
- Let cool completely. It will set up some but will remain pretty sticky.
- Store this in large ziplock bags. Or if you plan to deliver this as a gift, scoop some into a wide-mouth mason jar and tie a ribbon around the top.
by The Food Charlatan