Slow Cooker Chicken, White Bean, and Kale Soup with Parmesan Shavings
bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed*
salt and pepper
tablespoon olive oil
medium onion, chopped
medium carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
cloves garlic, minced
can diced tomatoes, undrained
cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
teaspoons Italian seasoning
cups chicken broth
one rind of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
cups kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
Parmigiano Reggiano shavings
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and salt and pepper well.
- Add the olive oil to the hot skillet. When it starts to shimmer, add the chicken. Sear well for 1-3 minutes, then flip and sear the other side until brown.
- Add the seared chicken, onion, carrots, garlic, diced tomatoes, white beans, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, chicken broth, and Parmesan rind to a 6-7 quart crock pot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred, discarding bones. Return to the crock pot.
- Add 6-8 cups of chopped kale, cover, and cook for another 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with lots of Parmesan shavings and crusty bread!
by The Food Charlatan