Classic Egg Salad
Makes enough for 3-4 sandwiches
teaspoon cayenne pepper
teaspoon salt, or more to taste
tablespoon chives, minced
pepper to taste
or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill, optional
- Begin by steaming your eggs. (Regular boiling works too!) Add about 1 or 2 inches of water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add eggs to a steamer basket. When the water is boiling, place the basket over the water and cover tightly. Set a timer for 12 minutes. Leave the burner on the whole time so the water continues to boil.
- Immediately plunge the eggs into very cold water. You're supposed to use ice, but I never do. I put the steamer basket in my plugged up sink and turn the faucet on cold. Remove the eggs from the basket (keep them in the water) as soon as you can, to get the hot metal out of the water.
- Let the eggs cool. You can peel them whenever they are cool enough to handle.
- Peel and slice the eggs. Or just add them to a medium bowl and smash them with a fork or pastry blender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, adjusting to taste.
- You may prefer to chill the egg salad before eating.
by The Food Charlatan