Browned Butter Blondies with Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels
Makes one square pan, about 9 blondies
stick (half cup) salted butter
cup packed dark brown sugar
cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
teaspoon baking soda
package Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Keep it on the heat, stirring or swirling occasionally, until the foam starts turning golden and the mixture smells nutty. If you've never browned butter, go here.
- Remove from heat and pour immediately into a mixing bowl or stand mixer. (Hurry, otherwise the heat from the pot could burn this precious stuff.)
- With a wooden spoon or using the mixer, stir in the brown sugar, then the vanilla, then the egg.
- Add the flour, but don't mix it in. Spoon the baking soda and salt onto the flour, and stir with a small spoon to blend it with the flour.
- Stir in the flour until almost combined; add the butterscotch caramels and stir just until there are no more streaks of flower.
- Line a 9x9 or 8x8 inch pan with foil or parchment paper, then spray with nonstick spray. Spread the batter evenly into the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes, until golden on top and set. Let them cool in the pan for at least 10-20 minutes before lifting them out. These blondies are amazing when they have cooled...but they are OUT OF CONTROL when they are warm. I always stick mine in the microwave for 10 seconds if they are cool.
by The Food Charlatan