A can of biscuits means these stuffed rolls come together really quick! They are filled with cream cheese, mushrooms, and chicken. You can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. Or you could serve these as an appetizer. They are a total crowd pleaser!
Charlotte came home from school the other day and announced that she’s learning about Abraham Lincoln at school. Truman’s face lit up. “Yeah! That guy was watching a movie and another guy came up behind him and shot him in the head. They tried to save him but, (shoulder shrug) he didn’t make it.”
How disturbing is it that the only fact my 3-year-old knows about the greatest president is that he was murdered?? I feel like zero Abraham Lincoln facts would be better than bloody murderous facts. Little boys’ obsession with killing and dying is seriously weird sometimes. Also sometimes it’s hilarious.
My mom used to make these Chicken Rolls for us all the time growing up. My brother mentioned them in passing, and I thought to myself, oh, she must have made them when he was little, because I don’t remember them. (We’re 11 years apart.) But then I made these and could totally remember the taste of them. It was so weird, because I had no memory of the recipe at all (not that I was interested in cooking when I was a kid…) but my tongue totally remembered, and it had me feeling all nostalgic.
It’s hard not to like these rolls. They are in the little cookbook that my mom put together for each of us when we left for college, but I never bothered to make them because 1) I didn’t remember them and 2) they called for canned mushrooms. Like, gross. Fresh mushrooms are bad enough (I’m trying to get over this. Look I even posted Stuffed Mushrooms once. They’re legit.) But canned??
I promise, it works in this recipe. You chop them up and add them to cream cheese, so no weird texture issues to deal with. It just adds nice subtle flavor. It’s not overwhelming, I promised. (“I know you can be overwhelmed, and I know you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be… whelmed?” “I think you can in Europe!” Please someone tell me you know this movie.)
One year ago: Mac and Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Broccoli
Two years ago: Meyer Lemon Tart
Three years ago: Dye Free Green Eggs and Ham
Chicken, Mushroom, and Cream Cheese Stuffed RollsMakes 8 rolls adjust servings
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounce can mushrooms, drained and chopped (or use fresh!)
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (I love rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt*
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper*
- 1 (1 lb.) can buttermilk biscuits (like Pillsbury)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat, parchment paper, or spray with nonstick spray.
- Add the cream cheese to a mixing bowl and stir until smooth. (If it's very soft, a spoon will do, otherwise you might want to bust out the mixer.)
- Drain the mushrooms and chop. Add them to the cream cheese.
- Add the chicken, onion, salt and pepper and stir together well.
- Open the can of biscuits. Use your hands or a rolling pin to roll out each biscuit (see photos). I used a little bit of flour but don't go crazy.
- Spoon the chicken mixture evenly between the biscuits. Use your fingers to wrap the biscuit dough around and pinch with your fingers on the bottom.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl.
- Add the panko crumbs and the parsley to another bowl.
- Dip the top of each roll into the butter, then dip in the bread crumbs.
- Line the rolls on the prepared sheet. I was able to fit them all on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 for 13-15 minutes, or until nicely browned on the edges.
- Serve hot!
by The Food Charlatan
Reuben Stuffed Crescent Rolls << these are fun appetizers for football parties
Pepperoni Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls << these are so easy it’s dangerous.
Other chicken roll recipes you might like:
Chicken Cordon Blue Crescent Rolls from Mom on Timeout
Chicken Stuffed Crescent Rolls from Wishes and Dishes
Mini Ranch Chicken Salad Rolls from Lemons for Lulu
BBQ Chicken Pizza Roll from Wine and Glue
This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for your support!