5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa
tomatoes (12 ounces) OR 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
of a small onion (don't go crazy. You don't want dragon breath)
half a clove of garlic, or 1 very small clove
half of 1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes discarded
teaspoons lime juice (fresh! fresh!)
teaspoon kosher salt
pepper to taste, optional
- Core the tomatoes and slice them in half. Add them to a food processor or blender.
- If you are using canned tomatoes, drain them in a colander. Or squeeze a handful at a time out over the sink. Add drained tomatoes to the blender.
- Add the onion. Smash the garlic with the side of a knife and add that too.
- Add half a jalapeno.
- Add the cilantro. I just chopped off what looked like about 3 tablespoons worth of leaves from the bunch and threw it in. You can always add more if you want.
- Add the lime juice, cumin, salt, sugar, and black pepper.
- Pulse the mixture about 1 full second at a time until blended. Stop a few times to scrape down the edges so you get everything chopped up. Don't go overboard or it will get too watery.
- Serve with chips! It tastes great right away, but is even better the next day, after the flavors have married. Such a great union.
by The Food Charlatan